• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impounded Vehicle (stolen parts)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aspec

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

I sold a car in 02/08 to a private party. The car initially was purchased in 02/07 and was in bad condition as a theft recovery vehicle (still clean title so no CHP inspection required). I purchased most of the parts from local shops to put the car back together. The engine & transmission needed to be replaced and I purchased one off of craigslist (10/07) from a private party.

The person I sold the car to contacted me today to tell me that the vehicle was impounded 2 weeks ago because the officer noticed the VIN sticker on the transmission was half peeled and wanted to investigate it further. He was contacted yesterday and was told that engine was reported stolen. Now the PD is trying to charge him and he's contacting a lawyer to put everything on me.

Now I have no idea what to do, I'm currently a [poor] college student so hiring a lawyer would really be my last resort.

- Does he really have a case against me since the vehicle has been in his possesion since Feb? For all I know he could have change the engine in the vehicle since then.

- If the engine I purchased was in fact stolen, what kind of charges can be filed against me? Could the seller have been commiting insurance fraud and possibly report the vehicle stolen after the parts had been sold off?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

- Does he really have a case against me since the vehicle has been in his possesion since Feb? For all I know he could have change the engine in the vehicle since then.
Or, you could have sold him the car as it is - stolen engine and all.

If you sold it legally and with all the proper inspections (if required) were done, then your liability should be limited. But, in civil court, he only needs to show by a preponderance of the evidence that you were liable.

You should start getting papers or statements from anyone and everyone with knowledge of where you got this car, who you got it from, etc. And anyone who can identify the engine would be good, too.

- If the engine I purchased was in fact stolen, what kind of charges can be filed against me? Could the seller have been commiting insurance fraud and possibly report the vehicle stolen after the parts had been sold off?
You COULD face a number of charges. But, they will have to show that you committed the theft or knowingly possessed and/or transferred stolen property. This will not likely be an easy task for the police to do.

If you are charged, contact an attorney. If you are sued, also contact an attorney (unless in small claims court in which case you are going to be on your own).

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">