• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incident Reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamhunt009

I am in North Carolina. Someone assaulted me in Robeson County (sheriff's dept). I have a copy of the "front" of the Incident report. I asked about the narrative that is completed on the "back" of the incident report but was told by the detective that I was not privy to that info. He said it was for their use only. I know the city police do give the narrative to the victims. Does the sheriff's department have a right to withhold the narrative information?

CdwJava

Unless this is considered a public record under your state's laws, then they can withhold the contents of any investigative files. You can go back and ask, but unless you get a judge you are not likely to compel them to give it up. You might consider consulting an attorney.

jamhunt009

Thanks

Dag that was fast! I found what I think you were referring me to.

§ 132‑1.4. Criminal investigations; intelligence information records; Innocence Inquiry Commission records.

(a) Records of criminal investigations conducted by public law enforcement agencies, records of criminal intelligence information compiled by public law enforcement agencies, and records of investigations conducted by the North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission, are not public records as defined by G.S. 132‑1. Records of criminal investigations conducted by public law enforcement agencies or records of criminal intelligence information may be released by order of a court of competent jurisdiction.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">