• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indemnitor Responsibilities, how to relinquish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJCalifornia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
In December I was invited to fill in a spot with a rock band of guys I didn’t know too well who were going on tour. 400 miles later on the way to the first gig, two of them, Will and Jon shoplifted at a grocery store and caught by store security. They were detained in the county jail with bail set at $15,000. Will’s wealthy parents paid the $1500 bail fee to release them and get us back on the road. I got a call from the bail bondsman to pick them up and was asked to sign a form so we could go. I mistakenly did so thinking it was a formality of release.

Last month cleaning my car I found a folder Jon left in my car. I saw what I actually signed was a document with me agreeing to be an indemnitor for Jon….responsible to pay $15,000 if Jon doesn’t show up for court. I called him and found out he traveled there to the first court date, but it was cancelled. He has not returned to that town since and has since moved from California to Oregon. He has not kept in contact with the bail bondsman or anyone else. I have desperately tried to get him to show up, offering travel fares and may have to personally go get him if I can force him. Now there is a bench warrant for him and he is afraid to go to jail. He is broke.

What can I do to resolve this? Can I alert the Oregon police to his whereabouts and they will arrest him and bring him to court? If I tell the Bail Bondsman I am concerned I will be charged costs if they get a bounty hunter after him. I feel sick and have worked hard for the little money I have and feel tied to this bozo. Please advise on what I can do.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
In December I was invited to fill in a spot with a rock band of guys I didn’t know too well who were going on tour. 400 miles later on the way to the first gig, two of them, Will and Jon shoplifted at a grocery store and caught by store security. They were detained in the county jail with bail set at $15,000. Will’s wealthy parents paid the $1500 bail fee to release them and get us back on the road. I got a call from the bail bondsman to pick them up and was asked to sign a form so we could go. I mistakenly did so thinking it was a formality of release.

Last month cleaning my car I found a folder Jon left in my car. I saw what I actually signed was a document with me agreeing to be an indemnitor for Jon….responsible to pay $15,000 if Jon doesn’t show up for court. I called him and found out he traveled there to the first court date, but it was cancelled. He has not returned to that town since and has since moved from California to Oregon. He has not kept in contact with the bail bondsman or anyone else. I have desperately tried to get him to show up, offering travel fares and may have to personally go get him if I can force him. Now there is a bench warrant for him and he is afraid to go to jail. He is broke.

What can I do to resolve this? Can I alert the Oregon police to his whereabouts and they will arrest him and bring him to court? If I tell the Bail Bondsman I am concerned I will be charged costs if they get a bounty hunter after him. I feel sick and have worked hard for the little money I have and feel tied to this bozo. Please advise on what I can do.

You're on the hook. You might want to contact Jon's mommy and daddy. Maybe they'll pony up the $15m this might cost you when Jon does not show up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">