• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

indicted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

girl63

Oregon.
My husband was arrested today after a warrant was issued related to an incident over the 4th of July weekend. He was taken in for questioning on the day of the incident; however, he was not charged with any crime and given a "courtesy" ride home that same day. He was honest about his involvement and they told him he would not be charged since he had not actually taken part in it. There were 2 other individuals involved and they both were taken into custody that day and charged with numerous serious offenses with bail initially set for 125,000 then lowered to 50,000. They both have since been released after posting bond.
My husband was with them at the time in which the crime(s) were committed; however, he did not participate nor witness the event and was not identified as being a suspect. He had remained in the car a distance away from the residence.
Now suddenly today, detectives showed up to arrest him on a warrant. He has numerous charges and his bail is twice as much as the others @ 250,000. Both of them have criminal records, he does not!
Please help me. I do not know what to do. I certainly do not have the 25,000 to bail him out. I absolutely am dumbfounded by what and why this has now happened to him. I am completely naive to the criminal world, as neither of us have been subjected to this before.

outonbail

Apparently the DA reviewed the case and felt that your husband was, by legal definition, "involved" in whatever crime(s) he is now facing.

You haven't provided the particulars on what charges he's facing, so I can't research any applicable law, but I will say this,,,, a person doesn't necessarily have to have "hands on" involvement to be charged and found guilty of a crime. Simply driving someone else to a location where they then commit a crime, is enough to be convicted of the same charges as the person who did the "wet" work.

When your husband appears before a judge to enter a plea, the judge can reduce his bail amount if he/she feels it is appropriate and is convinced your husband is not a flight risk. (The judge could also raise the bail amount as well)

He definitely needs an attorney. I would highly recommend hiring a private attorney over accepting a public defender to represent him...

girl63

Another ?

Thank you for your post and advice I feel as though I am walking through someone else's life at this point. I am hoping you could give me some insight as to why his bail is twice as much as the others; he has lived here all of his life and has no criminal record, while one of the others is a convicted felon and the other has a record as well, and neither one of them have lived in the area as long.
They were extremely intoxicated and my husband has no recollection of any "plan" to do what ended up happening. He did not drive them there or away from there either. The other two were identified by the victim and my husband was not mentioned. He was taken in to custody with the then two suspects after the police located the car and pulled them over. I cannot fathom the thought he would be prosecuted for something he absolutely was not a part of. Simply because he was in the car he is now facing several serious felony offenses?
I will provide the details of charges if it will help you to further advise me, but feel badly asking you to research the applicable laws. It seems a lot to ask of someone whom isn't being compensated for their efforts.
You recommend hiring a private attorney, can you give me a ball park figure of how much that may cost? Just some sort of an idea because we really haven't a lot of money...we really don't. I know he's gonna need help and I will have to figure some way to afford it because his innocence and freedom are priceless.
Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">