• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

informant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snidly

about what the police found.if i purchased a pistol that i didnt register yet and the police charged me with recieving stolen property,but the actual owner(when contacted by the police)never reported the gun as stolen,and still has not reported it.can i still be charged with recieving stolen property or an unregistered gun?i didnt know it wasnt the guys gun that i bought it from.

V

Vincent Cosent

Receiving stolen property

dosent mean you stole the gun.
You can be charged on both counts.
You will get a chance to defend yourself in court so find an attorney.
If the guy never reports the gun stolen your lawyer may get you off but dont you think he will?
You can call the DA and he might drop charges against you.

calatty

DA's don't drop charges when the defendant gives them a call. That a person has been charged already means that the DA has already determines that the evidence is sufficient to bring charges. It is never a good idea to call the DA if you have been charged with a crime.

V

Vincent Cosent

Calatty

If your innocent and cooperate with the da they may decide not to bring charges on you or drop them.
Years ago I apprehended to juveniles that had stolen a briefcase out of a neighbors car and was arrested myself and charged with
not having a foid card on the gun in my possesion. Later the DA decided to drop charges against me before going to trial.

H

Humble Warrior

Simple answer "rocket scientists"!!!
as long as you have a bill of sale,and you had time left between the day you were arrested and the laws limitations on weapon registration.....your fine.......let them take it to court. Make them look like jerks......then get your gun back, and the clock starts all over again for registering it......your due process was interrupted,thusly you have more time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">