• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Informant Identification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tj1320

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I had a nice visit by the police last Thursday after lunch. I work with my dad at his law office and the cops said that they had an informant tell them that I had illegal mushrooms growing in my dad's basement at his law office. I know they didn't have a warrant but I showed them the basement anyway. They found nothing, of course, and left. They wouldn't tell me who the informant was either.

What I'm wondering is if there is any way I can find out who their informant was. Can I subpoena some kind of information about this informant? I would ask my dad but he never does any criminal law so I doubt he would have any ideas. I would just like to know who did this because they obviously don't like me and I want to know who to watch out for, lol.

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

tj1320 said:
What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I had a nice visit by the police last Thursday after lunch. I work with my dad at his law office and the cops said that they had an informant tell them that I had illegal mushrooms growing in my dad's basement at his law office. I know they didn't have a warrant but I showed them the basement anyway. They found nothing, of course, and left. They wouldn't tell me who the informant was either.

What I'm wondering is if there is any way I can find out who their informant was. Can I subpoena some kind of information about this informant? I would ask my dad but he never does any criminal law so I doubt he would have any ideas. I would just like to know who did this because they obviously don't like me and I want to know who to watch out for, lol.

My response:

So, in your opinion, you don't think a lawyer, who practices law, who also studied Constitutional law, wouldn't have any ideas?

You see, that's where you're wrong. I am absolutely sure your father would be FURIOUS with you due to your ignorance, not only about his rights of privacy to his office space being invaded and searched without a warrant, but the fact that you didn't call him, or inform him, about this when it happened or afterwards - - so that HE could make a decision based upon the fact that the premises DO NOT belong to you!

Do you have any idea of the peril you placed your father and his license to practice? If you were my employee, you would no longer be my employee.

Get your information elsewhere. Not only are you a legal embarrassment to me because you work in a law office, but also to your father that you didn't trust to know the answer to what happened, to allow him to make a decision based upon law, and to your current question.

IAAL

Last edited:

tj1320

My dad was right there the whole time, lol. Are you saying that he is an embarassment to the legal community? You hit the nail right on the head, which is why I'm HERE and not asking him anything. He knows nothing about criminal law and he went DIRECTLY into private practice out of law school. So yeah, I know more about criminal law, police procedure, search warrants, probable cause, etc. than he does. I didn't have anything to hide so I let the police search the basement. What is wrong with that, ESPECIALLY if my father insisted on it? I DON'T know about informants and how confidential they really are though so that is why I asked my question. Next response, please. Please don't post a response in my thread again, IAAL.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Since there is no criminal proceeding pending (apparently), and no search warrant to challenge, you will have no grounds to ask a court for the identity of the informant.

You won't get that information unless they volunteer it to you for some reason.

- Carl

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

tj1320 said:
My dad was right there the whole time, lol. Are you saying that he is an embarassment to the legal community? You hit the nail right on the head, which is why I'm HERE and not asking him anything. He knows nothing about criminal law and he went DIRECTLY into private practice out of law school. So yeah, I know more about criminal law, police procedure, search warrants, probable cause, etc. than he does. I didn't have anything to hide so I let the police search the basement. What is wrong with that, ESPECIALLY if my father insisted on it? I DON'T know about informants and how confidential they really are though so that is why I asked my question. Next response, please. Please don't post a response in my thread again, IAAL.

My response:

So, you think you know more than an attorney? I really rather doubt your father was in attendance, or you would have said so in your initial response. In effect, you're actually trying to have me believe that your own father knows nothing about the Constitution or his Rights under the Bill of Rights? Don't make me laugh! Hell, even the lay people on these forums know the answer to your question, but I'm not about to assist a liar.

Also, I never pay any attention to stupid requests about responding - - especially when I think you're lying.

IAAL

tj1320

Its a shame that I can't find you then. I despise internet trolls such as yourself. Thanks for the informative response, CdwJava. It makes sense, I just thought that maybe they'd tell me if I went about it a certain way. But oh well, nothing happened and I don't have anything to hide so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. I just wish I knew who has a grudge against me. I have some ideas but I haven't talked to these people in 5 or 6 years so I doubt they would still be that vindictive.

C

CALIF-LAWPRO45

tj1320 said:
Its a shame that I can't find you then. I despise internet trolls such as yourself. Thanks for the informative response, CdwJava. It makes sense, I just thought that maybe they'd tell me if I went about it a certain way. But oh well, nothing happened and I don't have anything to hide so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. I just wish I knew who has a grudge against me. I have some ideas but I haven't talked to these people in 5 or 6 years so I doubt they would still be that vindictive.

My response:

Is it any wonder to you why people would have a grudge against you? You're a liar and an idiot. The issue has nothing to do with whether you "have anything to hide." But, a person, like yourself, who has no clear understanding of the Constitution, would have that type of attitude - - unlike your father, had he known what was happening.

It's sad that your father has you working for him, and even sadder that his clients have you working on their files. What else don't you know?

IAAL

ezmarelda

CALIF-LAWPRO45 said:
My response:

Is it any wonder to you why people would have a grudge against you? You're a liar and an idiot. The issue has nothing to do with whether you "have anything to hide." But, a person, like yourself, who has no clear understanding of the Constitution, would have that type of attitude - - unlike your father, had he known what was happening.

It's sad that your father has you working for him, and even sadder that his clients have you working on their files. What else don't you know?

IAAL
Maybe he "works" there just sweeping the floors, washing windows,watering the plants...;)

tj1320 said:
I just wish I knew who has a grudge against me. I have some ideas but I haven't talked to these people in 5 or 6 years so I doubt they would still be that vindictive.
Oh, oh, oh, I know! I know! It was the uncle in the shed with the pot plants who ran down the water spigots! Or was it the buddy with the stolen truck dumped on your property after y'all stole the ATM? I win, right TJ?

outonbail

Are you absolutely sure the people who were requesting access to your father's basement were the police? Were they in uniform or plain clothes? Did you go with them to the basement while they were having a look, or did you just direct them there to have a good time snooping around?

Something doesn't sound kosher with the whole story, if it in fact is the whole story.

CALIF-LAWPRO60

outonbail said:
Something doesn't sound kosher with the whole story, if it in fact is the whole story.

My response:

Of course it's "fishy." This idiot thinks he knows Con law better than his own father. If there ever was a lying sack of crap troll, the original writer is it!

IAAL

AHA

outonbail said:
Are you absolutely sure the people who were requesting access to your father's basement were the police? Were they in uniform or plain clothes? Did you go with them to the basement while they were having a look, or did you just direct them there to have a good time snooping around?

Sorry, but kind of idiot would let a bunch of people claiming to be cops into their house without having them show identification?? :eek: :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">