• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

infraction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nagesto

This message pertains to the State of California. I have several questions. Five years ago, my friends and I were involved in a physical altercation in a public space. Due to false allegations on the opposing side, I was arrested for felony assault with deadly weapon and strongarm robbery (both of which I was completely innocent of. All I did was push someone). At the arraignment, I was charged with misdemeanor disturbing the peace. I ultimately ended up getting a disturbing the peace infraction which was a $135.00 fine. I am planning to apply for a health professional intern license in a few months and was trying to get some information sorted out.

1) Is a misdemeanor conviction the same as pleading no contest to an infraction?

2) The intern application instructs the applicant to discuss the nature of the crime. Do I state that I was charged with misdemeanor disturbing the peace (since that's what was charged at the arraignment) or the felonies (which was charged before the arraignment, based on a onesided testimony that was completely false)?

3) The California board to which I am applying uses a Department of Justice/ FBI background check. What is revealed in this type of background check?

4) I know that only the board will ultimately have the final say as to whether I obtain my license but in general and in your opinion, is a disturbing the peace infraction ($135.00 fine) looked upon as a serious crime or a factor that usually prohibits the granting of a health profession license?

Thanks in advance.

V

Vincent Cosent

1) No

2) Explain misdemeanor disturbing the peace.

3) Anything in your background can be included such as membership in certain orginizations.

4) Felony convictions are usually considered serious crimes. But misdemenors could have some bearing in the granting of a liscense.

5) All the above are my opinion only as a layman.

N

nagesto

Thanks for your response. Here's a quote I got off the State Bar of California website.

"Sometimes called "disorderly conduct", disturbing the peace is a crime kids should know more about. In California, kids can face these charges if they are caught fighting or challenging someone to fight in a public place, making loud noises, having a party which is so loud that it unreasonably disturbs the community, or using foul language in a public place which is likely to produce violence. Anyone arrested for disturbing the peace faces up to 90 days in jail and/or a $400 fine. Minors , however, are often referred to juvenile court , or if no one has been injured or threatened and no property was damaged, defaced, or destroyed, their parents are notified."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">