• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidated into signing a statement and was fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyler

Question: A friend signed a statement saying she took cash from a drawer, she did not, but she was brought into a room, alone, with detectives shouting into her face saying she was about to be arrested. Dumb to sign it, I know, but what are her options now? She has been fired. She wants to be reinstated and have this taken from her record. She has contacted labor relations and is waiting for a call back. Should she get an attorney, and from where? She has no money for counsel. This is in Manhattan.

seniorjudge

tyler said:
Question: A friend signed a statement saying she took cash from a drawer, she did not, but she was brought into a room, alone, with detectives shouting into her face saying she was about to be arrested. Dumb to sign it, I know, but what are her options now? She has been fired. She wants to be reinstated and have this taken from her record. She has contacted labor relations and is waiting for a call back. Should she get an attorney, and from where? She has no money for counsel. This is in Manhattan.
Okay, you left out the facts supporting the allegations that you were intimidated.

Tell us why you think you were intimidated giving FACTS not conclusions.

CdwJava

Your "friend" needs a criminal defense attorney. The employer can do what they want. If they have enough cause to suspect her of theft, they can fire her. I doubt the job pays well enough to hire a good attorney to try and go after them for wrongful termination ... especially since your "friend" signed an admission. The employer is not bound by the decision of a criminal court or the DA regarding charges or guilt.

Time to look for an attorney and another job.

- Carl

justalayman

I believe the OP needs to consult with an attorney now.

I have seen this happen. Not long after this came the lawsuit as well as the criminal charges. Be proactive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">