• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidating a witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHEADBERG

What is the name of your state? MA
I am a suspect in a stalking investigation and I gave the female detective my friends name because I explained that she knew my Ex gf and also that her current ex bf was crazy and a control freak. In any case she talked to the police and she will not talk to me. The detective told me that I was not to contact her anymore because she was a witness and that it would be intimidation of a witness! I looked up the definition and it has nothing to do with me contacting her. She has been my friend for almost 13 years! All I can think of is the detective scared or threatened her. I know when the police called her she said they treated her like a suspect and made some rude comments like "don't take sides yet!". As well as other things. This detective is rude and is already treating me guilty. What can I do. I want to complain, but you know how cops are.

What is the name of your state? MA
I am a suspect in a stalking investigation and I gave the female detective my friends name because I explained that she knew my Ex gf and also that her current ex bf was crazy and a control freak. In any case she talked to the police and she will not talk to me. The detective told me that I was not to contact her anymore because she was a witness and that it would be intimidation of a witness! I looked up the definition and it has nothing to do with me contacting her. She has been my friend for almost 13 years! All I can think of is the detective scared or threatened her. I know when the police called her she said they treated her like a suspect and made some rude comments like "don't take sides yet!". As well as other things. This detective is rude and is already treating me guilty. What can I do. I want to complain, but you know how cops are.
Yeah, those damn police, putting there lives at stake to uphold the law and put criminals away. god damn them.

CdwJava

You are free to report the detective to his or her supervisors. However, if you do talk to your friend about the case, my guess is that you could be in violation of some statute regarding dissuading or intimidating a witness. Absent a court order, you can probably still talk to your friend, but i would avoid discussion of this case or the ex girlfriend like the plague.

Oh, and if you are being charged with stalking, consult an attorney ASAP.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">