• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

investigation procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobby Beumont

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

Can an investigating officer from Pennsylvania cross stateliness into West Virginia and transport a suspect back into Pennsylvania for interrogation without a signed waiver of consent or without informing the suspect of his right not to participate?

TigerD

Do you mean he arrested the suspect and transported him across state lines?
Or do you mean he simple asked the suspect to come to the station?

DC

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

Can an investigating officer from Pennsylvania cross stateliness into West Virginia and transport a suspect back into Pennsylvania for interrogation without a signed waiver of consent or without informing the suspect of his right not to participate?
Did an investigating officer from Pennsylvania cross state lines into West Virginia to transport a suspect back into Pennsylvania for interrogation without a signed waiver of consent or without informing the suspect of his right not to participate? If so, then the answer to your question is, "Yes, the investigating officer can do this, and he did."

Would you care to add more details?

OHRoadwarrior

It appears he simply provided transportation to a willing albeit not overly informed subject. As no arrest was made in the other state, it is legal. Next time use a better excuse other than I don't have a ride.

Bobby Beumont

Did an investigating officer from Pennsylvania cross state lines into West Virginia to transport a suspect back into Pennsylvania for interrogation without a signed waiver of consent or without informing the suspect of his right not to participate? If so, then the answer to your question is, "Yes, the investigating officer can do this, and he did."

Would you care to add more details?
Thanks guys for the input. I was wondering because the officer in question made the comment to the suspect at a second encounter of questioning to make arrangement to come to Pa himself because he(the officer) wasn't suppose to come across stateliness to do this. So I was wondering if it was a departmental policy or a question of civil liberty.

quincy

Thanks guys for the input. I was wondering because the officer in question made the comment to the suspect at a second encounter of questioning to make arrangement to come to Pa himself because he(the officer) wasn't suppose to come across stateliness to do this. So I was wondering if it was a departmental policy or a question of civil liberty.
Law enforcement officers will generally have their authority limited to their own states/counties/cities. But it can depend on the circumstances.

For example, some states (not sure about Pennsylvania/West Virginia) have "cross jurisdictional" agreements which would allow for officers from one state to cross into another state to either aid officers in that state or to make an arrest of someone suspected of committing a crime in their own state.

Just to question a suspect or pick a suspect up for questioning, though? I don't think so - at least not without the suspect's consent or the assistance of officers in the suspect's home state.

I suggest you wait for the forum's law enforcement members (CdwJava, Highwayman) or others to check in, however. They should be able to provide you with a better answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">