• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Isnt Court Case Records Public Information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikelpayne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
In Illinois a friend of mine is charged with some serious crimes. He has a attorney but that attorney is doing minimal work. He wants me to go to the court house to review the case file. When I went there they said due to the nature of the crimes I was not allowed to look at the case file and there was no one I can talk to or anyone I can get permission from to view the file.

I thought this information was public record? Is there anything I can do to view his case file?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
In Illinois a friend of mine is charged with some serious crimes. He has a attorney but that attorney is doing minimal work. He wants me to go to the court house to review the case file. When I went there they said due to the nature of the crimes I was not allowed to look at the case file and there was no one I can talk to or anyone I can get permission from to view the file.

I thought this information was public record? Is there anything I can do to view his case file?
Different states have different laws.

If the case has not yet gone to trial, or it is a juvenile matter, you may not be able to look at it yet. If nothing has yet been entered onto the record, your friend may have to wait until his attorney tells him what's up.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">