• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with starting over

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoHarmNoFoul

1. 10/2005 - I left husband and home because of history of domestic violence.
2. 12/2006 - I filed for divorce, hsb gave me house and other stuff in divorce settlement because he couldn't afford it. Must refinance.
3. 1/2007 - I moved back in home, hsb moved out.
4. 3/2007 - Divorce final. Hsb & I on excellent terms.
5. 4/2007 - Neighbor tells hsb something to the effect something needs to be done about me.
6. 5/2007 - Neighbor threatens boundary line dispute. Hsb tells neighbor to wait until hse is refinanced and out of his name.
7. 5/2007 - Neighbor threatens to remove my mailbox, placed by PO official.
8. 5/2007 - Neighbor makes claim of my possible wrongdoing demanding restitution.
9. 6/2007 - Neighbor demands exaggerated payment for alleged loss.
10. 7/2007 - House is refinanced. Neighbor files criminal complaint to regain alleged loss.
11. 10/2007 - Judge grants restitution but imposes no penalty. Neighbor threatens boundary dispute in front of my attorney. When asked why, because he can.
12. 10/2007 - Neighbor threatens false criminal suit, am awaiting subpoena.

Am I being over-sensitive? How do I get neighbor to back off?

Last edited:

mike_lee

this reminds me of a bible scripture. "Make friends quickly with your opponent at law while you are with him on the way, so that your opponent may not hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the officer, and you be thrown into prison.

in other words humble yourself before your neighbor, even if he is in the wrong -because it sounds like he has more money and time then you - give him what he wants and get back to living.

NoHarmNoFoul

Tried that. Neighbor won't speak to me outide of informing me of his next action followed with, "I'll see you in court."

Last edited:

outonbail

Why do I get the feeling that there's more to this story than what's been posted?

11. 10/2007 - Judge grants restitution but imposes no penalty
Exactly what and why, was the restitution granted?

NoHarmNoFoul

Brief history: Back a couple years ago neighbor was married. His wife called me saying she was tired of his getting cranked up and popping off on her and asked me to help her move out. I did. From that point on he's been looking for ways to get to me. Before my divorce my hsb kept him in check but now that he's no longer here, its open season on me for his twisted little games.

outonbail

Well you didn't post what you were referring to when you stated that the judge awarded your neighbor restitution.

I asked because if he has issues with some problem you have created, which he is legally correct with, then there is nothing you can do except correct the problem.

If he's filing frivolous lawsuits just to harass you, that's a different story. But when you claim that the judge awarded him restitution, then you must have been in the wrong, with whatever issue he brought you to court on.

BTW, what state do you live in?

NoHarmNoFoul

On the first issue, I did not directly do anything but its quite possible the event occurred. My attorney said it should have been handled in small claims court instead of criminal court, but the judge ruled on it anyway. That's why I accept the decision although I'm not happy about it.

This second issue absolutely did not happen in any way shape or form. I know what he's charging me with, but I have to wait for the subpeona to find out when and how I supposedly did what he claims. I spoke with county attorney today who said when he brings the charge all I have to do is prove I'm innocent... witnesses and the like. I'm a single mom with full time work and school. I never thought I'd need a witness to what I do when I'm at home.

In general, can you tell me a little more about frivolous law suits? The county attorney said something to me about possibly filing harrassment charges.

Last edited:

Curt581

On the first issue, I did not directly do anything but its quite possible the event occurred. My attorney said it should have been handled in small claims court instead of criminal court, but the judge ruled on it anyway. That's why I accept the decision although I'm not happy about it.

This second issue absolutely did not happen in any way shape or form. I know what he's charging me with, but I have to wait for the subpeona to find out when and how I supposedly did what he claims. I spoke with county attorney today who said when he brings the charge all I have to do is prove I'm innocent... witnesses and the like. I'm a single mom with full time work and school. I never thought I'd need a witness to what I do when I'm at home.

In general, can you tell me a little more about frivolous law suits? The county attorney said something to me about possibly filing harrassment charges.
You've been asked twice for specifics. Twice you evaded the questions.

If you don't want to tell us what the restitution is for... that's fine. You don't have to.

But don't expect any substantive answers if you won't tell us what the hell you're talking about.

NoHarmNoFoul

Never mind. I found the answer I need from a post involving a similar situation. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">