• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job was terminated, Background check was clear?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SierraSpace

Hi! I was offered a sales position at a life insurance company in NJ.

I signed all the paper work and started to schedule classes to study and get my license required to sale insurance.

Before offering me the job I was called back for 3 interviews. After the first interview I was asked to complete a required information questionnaire.

One of the questions was whether I was ever been convicted of a crime. I answered truthfully about my summary offense for retail theft in PA.

Several hours after signing a contact with them, I received a call from them regarding my criminal background and told me that my employment was on hold. I was not very happy about this. I knew my record would make it harder for me to get a job, but this was just unnecessarily cruel.

Several days after the call, I was inform that I will not be working for them.

One week later, I received a letter in the mail by them. The company that the insurance company hires to do the background checks require the insurance company to send the background check information to me.

What I found was surprising. There are no arrest records and my background is clear. They did a search in county where the crime was committed and it says "no record found".

I am baffled. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream of getting caught, taken to the police station and finger-printed.

The only thing I can think of why this happened is the timing. The background was checked two months after the crime happened.

Anyone have any clue what the heck happened here?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">