• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

JOL Passenger Restriction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hockeypuckbtp15

Im not sure about all states, but at least in Massachusetts you are not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 21 (except immediate family) until you have had your license for 6 months. My view of getting caught for this is that you can only get in trouble for it if you get pulled over for something else, as a cop can't really have probable cause that a passenger isn't my family. My question is that, if I were to get pulled over, would I be required answer the cop's question about whether or not my passenger is a family member. If I refused to answer, wouldn't that just be me exercising my 5th amendment rights? Thanks

Just Blue

Im not sure about all states, but at least in Massachusetts you are not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 21 (except immediate family) until you have had your license for 6 months. My view of getting caught for this is that you can only get in trouble for it if you get pulled over for something else, as a cop can't really have probable cause that a passenger isn't my family. My question is that, if I were to get pulled over, would I be required answer the cop's question about whether or not my passenger is a family member. If I refused to answer, wouldn't that just be me exercising my 5th amendment rights? Thanks
Go to your nearest DMV and just hand over your license. Save everyone the time, effort and monies of taking it away. :)

single317dad

Im not sure about all states, but at least in Massachusetts you are not allowed to drive anyone under the age of 21 (except immediate family) until you have had your license for 6 months. My view of getting caught for this is that you can only get in trouble for it if you get pulled over for something else, as a cop can't really have probable cause that a passenger isn't my family.
There have been several instances of that exact question on this board, when someone was pulled over for only that offense, and now they're facing a fine and/or license suspension.

My question is that, if I were to get pulled over, would I be required answer the cop's question about whether or not my passenger is a family member. If I refused to answer, wouldn't that just be me exercising my 5th amendment rights? Thanks
You don't have to answer any question. There may be consequences for failing to answer. I recommend you keep an attorney on speed dial so he can advise you whether to answer each individual question posed by the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">