• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

juvenile holding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xltturbo2003

I live in Wisconsin.
I talked to my stepson's mother today. The oldest is in jail. He is 17 years old. The police picked him up at 11:30 this a.m. and put him in a holding cell. Mom does not know if they questioned him today, but he is in the holding cell. She nor my husband were called to let them know he was there. His stepdad was home when he was picked up and taken. My question is: Can they keep him in a holding cell at 17 y/o without having the true parent there? I mean, can they hold him without the parent talking to the police? Can they keep him over night? We don't know if they read him his rights or not. Supposedly, they have him in there for 3 felonlies for obstructing an officer. Where can I turn to find the answers I need?
Thank you, and quick answers would be appreciated.

Son of Slam

xltturbo2003 said:
I live in Wisconsin.
I talked to my stepson's mother today. The oldest is in jail. He is 17 years old. The police picked him up at 11:30 this a.m. and put him in a holding cell. Mom does not know if they questioned him today, but he is in the holding cell. She nor my husband were called to let them know he was there. His stepdad was home when he was picked up and taken. My question is: Can they keep him in a holding cell at 17 y/o without having the true parent there? I mean, can they hold him without the parent talking to the police? Can they keep him over night? We don't know if they read him his rights or not. Supposedly, they have him in there for 3 felonlies for obstructing an officer. Where can I turn to find the answers I need?
Thank you, and quick answers would be appreciated.

Sorry, but anything over TWO felonies and they are allowed keep him overnight.

M

mbaker3

I don't know much, and I don't work in this field, but I do know that if an adult shows up with a lawyer, things sometimes change a bit.

At the very least, you (or a local parental figure) are allowed to go there and talk with folks, keep asking (politely) to speak with the next person above the last, when you are not satisfied by the person with whom you are currently speaking (politely).

I certainly do not know, but as one veteran poster often says (and is likely correct) "there's more to the story".

Anyone's ability to help this young man will be affected by the veracity of the charges.

That said, the services of a lawyer are usually well worth their cost when charged with felonies, especially multiple felonies.

Good Luck.

X

xltturbo2003

Thanks Son of Slam and mbaker3. I appreciate the response. My Step son was released yesterday, and yes, it is true, I'm sure there is more to the story than what we have been told. Evidently he goes to court this week, we will find out then more to the story.
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">