• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kentucky state patrol check point

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phaedrus8899

What is the name of your state? KY

I am actually from Ohio but this incident occurred over the weekend in Kentucky. I was there with some friends on a camping/hiking trip. On the way to our 1st hike my vehicle was ordered to pull over and I was asked if I had any "marijauna, cocaine, or methamphetamines in the car?" to which I replied no. He asked if he could search the vehicle and I replied No. He then told me that if I did not allow a search ,a K9 unit would be dispatched to sniff around the car. He said that if we had anything in the car and the dog found it that I would go straight to jail, But if we had something in the car and produced it now I would get only a citation. At this point I handed over a 1/8 oz sack of marijauna and a small pipe and was cited with possesion and paraphanelia.

Question1: It seems to me that if you have a checkpoint set up like this you would have a dog on-site already. Is the K9 search even legal or was I duped?

Question 2: I cannot send in a payment for this and will have to drive back on the 15th for court. I'm 25 years old and to this point have nothing on my record save for a few speeding tickets. What kind of sentencing should I expect for something like this?

Question 3: If I were to miss the court date would a warrant be issued for me in Ohio?

snostar

1. Yes, it's legal.

2. Both charges (if first offenses)are misdemeanors punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $500 (for each). This is the most extreme possiblitity of punishment so hire an attorney. You will likely be offered a plea.

3. YES!

Phaedrus8899

"Both charges (if first offenses)are misdemeanors punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $500 (for each). This is the most extreme possiblitity of punishment so hire an attorney."

Oh my god, my stomach just turned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">