• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Knowledge of felon with a weapon, and he's harassed me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WAmomma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Last year, I became aquaintances with an older student at the community college where I tutor math. He was almost 40 and seemed a little creepy to me, and was covered in racist tattoos. He would only work with me, and I was starting to feel uncomfortable with his attention. Calls and emails were very sexual and not academically related. I had a background check done on him, and turned out he has 73 different charges in 7 different states, including hate crimes and violent felonies. He has spent 80% of hid adult life in prison. (I didn't even realize that people with this many charges could ever get out of prison.) I was going to file for a restraining order, but he was picked up on 4 older outstanding warrants, and at the time I thought he'd be in jail for a long time, and I would have moved away by the time he was out. Well yesterday, I ran in to him at the train station. Turns out he was released early, AGAIN. He said "wanna see something nifty?" and pulled a dagger out of his back pack, saying he traded 200 oxycontin pills for it. He didn't threaten me with it, but I was quite shaken and glad to be picked up by a ride instead. I am considering filing a restraining order, but don't know if I have cause anymore just based on this new incident. Mostly, I am really concerned because I know that knives have been his weapon of choice, and he has been convicted of stabbing assaults multiple times. He has a hot temper, and I'm pretty sure he could find a reason to stab a n old lady walking down the street, if she were a person of color and looked at him wrong. In the 5 minutes or less that we conversed, he told me that he is no longer on probation (I checked and it's true) and that he's somewhat homeless and "couch surfing". Is there any way I can report him for having this weapon?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

If he is not under criminal supervision, and the the knife is otherwise legal (and it is) then he has no restriction on buying or owning one, felon or not.

BTW that must be an EXTREMELY valuable knife if it was worth 200 oxycontin. those are worth over 10 dollars a pill on the street... soooooo.

Your own conduct sounds a little creepy at best yourself and I strongly suspect that there is way more to this story.

True facts -

You can't get a restraining order because someone is a felon.

You don't contemplate moving away because someone you tutored is a racist with a criminal past.

WAmomma

Well, that is quite a rude and less than insightful comment. There is absolutely NOTHING bizarre about my behavior. We always give our cell and email to students we tutor, and this guys has made disgusting unwanted advances toward me, and then left me a barrage of emails and voicemails calling me a slut, a whore, a bitch, diseased, and telling me to eat his shi*, he can find better p*ssy if I don't want him. When I ignored him, he apologized saying he was drunk, but when I said I no longer felt comfortable tutoring him, he started the behavior again. This was all prior to his arrest several months ago. Didn't think I needed to post this much info about the harassment.

I have no idea the value of oxycontin, but I do know that it is unlawful for him to possess a blade longer than three inches. Shows what you know, idiot.

I was just asking how and if I should report him while he is homeless, and if too much time has passed to file a restraining order. Thanks.

Last edited:

WAmomma

And by the way, I was moving BACK HOME after finishing my grad degree, not moving away from a racist felon.

Isis1

Well, that is quite a rude and less than insightful comment. There is absolutely NOTHING bizarre about my behavior. We always give our cell and email to students we tutor, and this guys has made disgusting unwanted advances toward me, and then left me a barrage of emails and voicemails calling me a slut, a whore, a bitch, diseased, and telling me to eat his shi*, he can find better p*ssy if I don't want him. When I ignored him, he apologized saying he was drunk, but when I said I no longer felt comfortable tutoring him, he started the behavior again. This was all prior to his arrest several months ago. Didn't think I needed to post this much info about the harassment.

I have no idea the value of oxycontin, but I do know that it is unlawful for him to possess a blade longer than three inches. Shows what you know, idiot.

I was just asking how and if I should report him while he is homeless, and if too much time has passed to file a restraining order. Thanks.

the time to file the restraining order, has since past. by not reporting it at the time it occured, says you're cool with it.

you should have reported the transit authorities when you saw the weapon. now, the weirdo thinks you're cool, cuz you did NOT report him.

sorry sweetie, you've enabled him.

you can report it, but being homeless, it will be harder to have him picked up since no one knows where to find him.

CdwJava

Just how do you know it is illegal for him to possess a blade longer than three inches? If you "know" this because "they" told you, you may well be the one who just showed what you knew.

You say he is no longer on probation. If not on probation or parole, then there is almost certainly no blade length limitation. Seattle has a muni code that limits blade length, but the RCW does not appear to have any such limitation.

Like others have said, about all you can do is to report his conduct to the police. If they are concerned that he has a knife, they will look into it. I., too, find it odd to believe he has that many convictions and is not on probation, parole, or still in custody. I suspect you may have read his criminal history wrong (sometimes the same action can be listed multiple times, each at different steps in the process). If not, then WA beats CA for the "soft on felons award".

- Carl

xylene

Aww.

1. You are mis-reading the law (and it applies to dangerous knives over 3 1/2 inches.... and scary looking does not mean it is legally a dangerous knife)

2. He is NOT prohibited from possessing a knife because he has a felony record.

And for the record, I am still NOT clear as to why you did not report his harrassment to the college and when it escalated to the police.

The reality is the police are not going to see your failure to report as anyhting but protecting someone you since had a falling out with.

You can't get a restraining order because someone is a crap talking gross guy with a felony record and a knife.

WAmomma

Xylene,

Please back off and let someone else comment. You are sounding insane. Sorry if I forgot about the extra HALF inch. Dagger was the best description I could think of, but I'd say it's probably 5 inches. The school security and board WERE involved; they initiated the background check and he was kicked out of the school because of this, and harassment of a few other women on campus.

I know, because I've seen a detailed list of his restrictions, that he is not to possess a knife/weapon over said length. Now it might not apply to kitchen utensils, but I am NOT an idiot. He said he needed it for PROTECTION.

I am a well educated, law-abiding citizen, and I would not go crying on an internet forum because someone I didn't like had a pocket knife. Good grief. As for mentioning that he was a racist? It matters, because everyone he has hurt has been of another race (and there have been a lot of people), and he has commented after seeing my daughter's picture in my office that "I did the right thing, procreating with someone with blond genes, because a white girl with my dark hair and eyes needs to be especially careful not to mix with 'mud' and compromise the future of the Aryan race." He also said that when he sees a white girl with a darker guy (and I happen to be dating one now) that he would gladly ho back to jail doing anything he could to prevent their sexual union, it is his "duty".

These is a real legal question, this man is a real threat, and I'd be happy to provide further details of things he's said and how I've responded, except I don't think they are pertinent to the answer I'm looking for.

WAmomma

His report was shown to me by a Washington State Patrolman. He explained it in detail. My understanding was that this was a condition of his release, not just a state law. As for our state being soft on felons, the patrolman was also shocked. He said it must be because his felonies did not occur in Washington, he only has misdemeanors here.

Last edited:

xylene

The school security and board WERE involved; they initiated the background check and he was kicked out of the school because of this, and harassment of a few other women on campus.

---

These is a real legal question, this man is a real threat, and I'd be happy to provide further details of things he's said and how I've responded, except I don't think they are pertinent to the answer I'm looking for.
Don't you think the above facts change your situation and how it appears A LOT. Not just to the posters on this board volunteering time... but like to the people you would need to appeal to to get a restraining order or criminal prosecution.

In your first post, you said "I had" a background investigation done. A far cry from he was tossed for good from the college because of multiple confirmed allegations involving multiple parties...

If this guy is a bona fide threat, I am still not understanding what the debate is about acting now or waiting until he is not homeless.?

CdwJava

I know, because I've seen a detailed list of his restrictions, that he is not to possess a knife/weapon over said length. Now it might not apply to kitchen utensils, but I am NOT an idiot. He said he needed it for PROTECTION.
But ... restrictions? I thought you said he was not on probation? People only have restrictions when they are on probation or parole. If he is NOT on probation or parole, then the only restriction might be campus rules or a city municipal code. So, which is it?

If you have proof he is violating a muni code, that might give the police something to go on, but if he is not in the city or on the campus where such a restriction is in place, this is moot.

Until you actually apply for a restraining order, you will not know if your issues rise to the level required for a court to issue such an order. You can also report his carrying a knife to the police, but absent his being on probation or parole, such a violation will be - at best - a lesser offense or violation of the local muni code and not likely to light a fire under anyone.

- Carl

CdwJava

His report was shown to me by a Washington State Patrolman. He explained it in detail. My understanding was that this was a condition of his release, not just a state law. As for our state being soft on felons, the patrolman was also shocked. He said it must be because his felonies did not occur in Washington, he only has misdemeanors here.
Then if he has conditions of release, he IS on parole or probation. If his probation or parole period has passed, then his knife is covered by state and local laws, not conditions of release.

- Carl

WAmomma

So someone with a dangerous past who threatens people can just strut around showing off a weapon to people he has intimidated in the past and that's just fine with the law?

CdwJava

So someone with a dangerous past who threatens people can just strut around showing off a weapon to people he has intimidated in the past and that's just fine with the law?
Unless he committed a crime with it (i.e.. brandished it or threatened you in a criminal manner), or it is otherwise prohibited by statute to possess, then he can have whatever knife he wants.

Yes, it is unnerving. But, unless he is violating the conditions of probation or parole (and you indicate he is not), and unless he is violating a local muni code that prohibits knives of 3.5" or longer, then he can likely carry it with him. It might fall under some form of concealed weapon statute if it is readily accessible but concealed from view, but that would depend on how he carries it and whether WA has a concealed knife statute like my state of CA does.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">