• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyer retained/papers in hand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Serendipity0215

What is the name of your state?Florida

I have retained a lawyer for my boyfriend who has 2 felony counts. Due to a previous prison term we have kept this issue quiet and not talked to anyone about it. A certain person who has feelings for my boyfriend has taken liberties over the past few years to follow up on everything going on in our life, and so has found out about this as well. I'm feeling stalked, so I called the Lawyers office and was told that this person has gone in paid the rest of our lawyer fees and obtained information on a case she has no involvement in. Is this legal? Can anyone go in and obtain info from a lawyer if they pay the balance? Not that i care she paid...she must like my boyfriend alot. :) Keeps my money in my pocket! But is this legal? What should I do?

outonbail

I don't believe it makes any difference who the attorney receives the funds to pay someone's legal fees from. Parents can and do offer to pay attorney fees all the time.

However, anyone offering payment on an account would have to know that there is an account to begin with and know that there is a balance due on the account.
So how did this person know who your attorney was? How did she know there was a balance due on the account?
I doubt this person simply walked into every attorney office listed in the yellow pages and asked if they were representing so and so and if they had any outstanding balance due on their account.

Either way, I seriously doubt, that any attorney would discuss the details and specifics surrounding a case, unless the person they were discussing it with had some sort of ties to the case. They were either party to the arrest or being called in to testify as a witness or possibly a spouse. But not just someone claiming to have feelings for your boyfriend.

May be that this person has closer ties to the case, or your boyfriend than you believe.

Are there any additional defendants listed on your boyfriends case? Has your boyfriend been in personal contact with this person? Has he instructed his attorney to discuss the case with her?

There has to be more going on than some stranger just walked in, paid a bill and was handed a copy of the legal file. How does your boyfriend respond to her actions?

Serendipity0215

outon bail reply

This person knows almost everything that goes on in our life. She was a friend of a friend that he became acquainted with, when she began to want more than friendship he set her straight and she started all the gifts. She has lots of money and even knowing that my boyfriend and I live together will still buy extravagant items and drop them off. He returns them of course, last item was a new nissan truck, I was tempted to tell him, Hey if she's that stupid lets keep it. But he is not willing to be bought by her and returns it all. He does not give into her, it is almost like this fatal attraction which in a sense scares me. She was able to go to the Clerk of the courts online files and see what he was charged with and it lists his judge and lawyer. Now as for finding out he had been arrested is another story. Since she tries to follow him around during his work day and found him to not be there it got her mind to working. She even mailed him a check to pay a lawyer for a speeding ticket once..The day after it was filed. She must be online checking him out all the time as it was a weekend and we were out of town when it happened so I know he didn't tell her about it. Back to the issue, let her pay the court cost...keep my money...but does he (the lawyer)have legal right to discuss issues with her when he had a legal binding contract with us? She was not involved in this incident at all. I know i was there when this all happened. It's crazy...he says give back her I say if she's stupid enough to pay then let her!!

outonbail

Maybe you could give her my number, the only stalker I ever dealt with cost me thousands. :mad:

I think it would be a nice change to have one buy me a new car! :D

stephenk

"I have retained a lawyer for my boyfriend who has 2 felony counts. Due to a previous prison term we have kept this issue quiet "

So your soon to be 3 time loser boyfriend has two women with so little self-esteem that they support him and buy him expensive gifts. A future with a guy who can only get a minimum wage job must be so exciting for you.

Please say you don't have any kids with him.

Serendipity0215

stephenk

I didn't ask for your opinion on my relationship. And if you read a little closer youwould have seen that he returns everything. I was the one who said. Hey! If she's that stupid then lets keep the stuff. Also He supports himself with his more than minimum wage job and I support myself. My reason for being here isn't to be degraded but to ask for legitimate answers. If you're into relationship problems go to the personals. Now once again Does the lawyer have the legal right to talk to just anyone about the case or is the retainer a legal binding contract between the persons who retained him and just witnesses? Would your brain like to delve into that one??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">