• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving the country on bail. . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hambirg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

About a month ago I posted about bailing out my ex (stupid!). We are still legally married. However, today I found out that his parents are buying tickets for him and my youngest daughter to visit them for Christmas in Germany (they live there). He has been on similar visits with my two older kids. . .so I'm not really concerned about him "taking" the child. BUT he is out on bond. Can he even make the trip? I'm assuming that he probably could with permission from the court or bonding company. But I would bet my last dime that he hasn't even thought about that. He would just do nothing and try to get on the plane. I feel bad for the in-laws. They are nice. But my ex's stupidity might have cost them some $$. Ugh! Does it ever end?

ETA_I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. I figured it falls under criminal law and I didn't really see a more appropriate spot.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

About a month ago I posted about bailing out my ex (stupid!). We are still legally married. However, today I found out that his parents are buying tickets for him and my youngest daughter to visit them for Christmas in Germany (they live there). He has been on similar visits with my two older kids. . .so I'm not really concerned about him "taking" the child. BUT he is out on bond. Can he even make the trip? I'm assuming that he probably could with permission from the court or bonding company. But I would bet my last dime that he hasn't even thought about that. He would just do nothing and try to get on the plane. I feel bad for the in-laws. They are nice. But my ex's stupidity might have cost them some $$. Ugh! Does it ever end?

ETA_I'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. I figured it falls under criminal law and I didn't really see a more appropriate spot.

1 ~ Speak to the bonding company

2 ~ When it ends is completely up to you, remember no one forced you to bail this idiot out.

Antigone*

1- I will "suggest" he do that.

2- I know. I blame my kind heart and concern for my kids. . .BUT it was a valuable lesson learned. Never again!!!
If it is your neck on the chopping block with regards to collateral, I suggest you make that phone call.;)

CdwJava

Bond is to assure his attendance at court. Unless he is specifically forbidden to leave the jurisdiction, the state, or the country, he can still travel abroad.

But, if he decides to stay ...

I had a friend who almost lost his home when he bailed out a nephew who then fled to Mexico. Fortunately, the nephew discovered that living free in Mexico sucked far more than living as a fugitive in the US so he came back and got busted crossing the border in AZ. Fortunately, my friend was able to save his house but that was only through the intervention of a friend of MINE who was also a bail bondsman and knew how to delay the process to give the guy more time.

Bottom line is, do not post collateral for anyone! Even family!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">