• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Advice (Statutory Rape)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carey311

What is the name of your state (Florida)
I was living in Florida about a year ago, and met a young woman who misrepresented her age. She told me she was 18, and I was 27. She looks like she could be 21, so it's not like I had any reason to believe otherwise. We had a brief 3 month relationship where there was sexual contact. I then found out her true age, when her father showed up at my house one day to let me know that she was actually 15 and that this wasn't the first time that she had done something like this. He asked for my word that I wouldn't continue the relationship with her, I gave it to him and I let her know that we could no longer see each other. I also live with my sixteen year old sister, who in that time befriended her and would see her from time to time. Looking back on it now I think she only continued the friendship with my sister to try and stay in my life. After I ended the relationship it seemed she did whatever she could to try and get back in my life. There was times where she showed up to my apartment in the middle of the night. I would tell her to go home and she would just stand in front of my door crying. Fearful that the police would come and question her about what was going on, I would then offer her a ride home. I would drop her off in front of her house only for her to show back up at my door step hours later. I would call her mother, and let her know what was going on. The only response I would get from that would be that she would talk to her. Knowing what I know now I shouldn't have expected much from that seeing how her mother is a drug addict, buys drugs for her daughter, and promotes her behavior. Finally one day she ran away from home, and her mother was calling my phone hourly wondering if I had seen her. By this point this girl was literally driving me crazy. She eventually did show up at my house, at which point and time I told her that she was making me insane and that it had to stop. I told her I was calling her mother, and taking her home. She said that she would call herself. Well she lied and pretended to call her mother. While I was getting ready to take her home, her mother called my phone and let me know that she knew she was with me and that a detective would be notifying me soon. At this point I was ready to blow. I told her mother that she had showed up at my house, and that I was sending her home. I took her home, and that was the last time I had seen her. I was so shaken up by the events, and possible criminal action that I saw the only way of completely removing her from my life was to go back home to New York. All of these events transpired over a four to five week period after the relationship ended. Approximately about a month after I left Florida, she called me up to tell me that she was pregnant. I told her that she should have an abortion, not even really knowing if the child was mine. Her and her family replied by saying that they don't believe in abortions. I was also told that as long as I take care of my responsibilities that I wouldn't have to worry about criminal prosecution. That lasted for about a 2 month period before I was issued an ultimatum to come back to Florida to be with her or police would be called and prosecution would be perused. I didn't think it was a good idea for a 28 year old man to come back to be with a 16 year old. (She had turned 16 in the time since, and I 28) So I declined and again stated if the child was mine I would take on my responsibility. That wasn't good enough, and they followed through with their threat. I've had sporadic contact with her over the past seven months, and the baby is due within the next week. I haven't been contacted by any authorities, but I do know that their is a non-arrest investigation open on me. I had my mother contact her mother, and was told that I would be charged with lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor under 16, and that the most time I could do is two years in jail. I'm also really going crazy at this point because I found out that ignorance of age is no defense. I have three other children and believe I am a good father, and would like to continue to be. But if I have to register as a sex offender I don't see how I can do that or even get a job to support them. Can anyone tell me, am I screwed, or is there light at the end of the tunnel? I mean, the state attorney is only hearing her and her families lies and deceit. While I'm going to be stuck with a public defender. I need help. Can anyone tell me if it's out there?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
How do you know if any investigation is going on? HAve you tried speaking to the father? What's his story?

And yes, it is true - not knowing her age or being deceived is not a defense. Even if she had a forged drivers license that you believed to be real showing she was 21 - still no good.

Carey311

I know there is an investigation happening because I had a lawyer contact the state attorney's office. But it's been about 7 months since the investigation started. The father seems to be manipulated by the daughter. He kinda turns a blind eye to everything.

Just Blue

I know there is an investigation happening because I had a lawyer contact the state attorney's office. But it's been about 7 months since the investigation started. The father seems to be manipulated by the daughter. He kinda turns a blind eye to everything.
Perhaps the "blind Eye" you had is spreading...:rolleyes:

cyjeff

Allow me to summarize...

Blah blah blah.

I repeatedly schtupped a 15 year old....

blah blah blah

I provided proof that I schtupped a 15 year old by proving I am too stupid to know how a condom works even though I have 3 other children.

blah blah blah

It is all the little girl's fault and I shouldn't have to go to jail.

blah blah blah...

Florida has VERY strong statutory rape laws.... and your child is proof.

Enjoy prison.

Carey311

Any negative people, need not reply. I'm not blaming anyone but myself. I know there we're things that I could have done different. But, at the same time I refuse to feel at fault for someone lying about their age. This post is for advice. Please if you don't have any, then don't post.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
FWIW, I run into alot of 13 to 15 year old girls who could pass for ALOT older. Must be the water around here.

cyjeff

Any negative people, need not reply. I'm not blaming anyone but myself. I know there we're things that I could have done different. But, at the same time I refuse to feel at fault for someone lying about their age. This post is for advice. Please if you don't have any, then don't post.
Sorry, chuckles... I am not a 15 year old girl you can order around.

You blamed the girl (she said she was 18), you blamed her mom (she is a drug addict that gives her daughter drugs), you blamed the girl for sleeping around (I told her to get an abortion and I didn't even know who the father really is) and now you are blaming me for being negative.

Things you could have done differently? You mean like asking why your adult girlfriend never drove anywhere or had a driver's license?

According to the law, the entire responsibility of determining age of your sexual partner is YOU... not her, YOU...

Allow me to repeat.... YOU.

And if you think ANYONE will believe that you stopped sleeping with her the moment you found out her true age but still let her hang out at your house.

BS.

Plan on several years of prison followed by a lifetime on the sexual offender registry.

Don't even bother thinking it won't happen... the doctor and nurses that deliver your child are mandatory reporters.

Maybe the other inmates will be nice, just this once, to a child molester.

JKBee

Ask for a paternity test to begin with. This might not even be your child. Which doesn't help with the charges, but it might help with your life in the future. If it is your child, then you can be tied to this girl for the rest of your life. Best of luck, anyway. One thing to consider, and I don't know if this is true. Maybe someone on here can answer: Is there extradition to Florida, and if not, can this be charged as a sex crime if you do not have a trial and are not found guilty?

Just Blue

You are really asking for a way out? And you don't want to hear any relevant, but "negative", POV?

If that is the case go to:

Prison Talk - Prison Information and Inmate Support Community

Carey311

I don't mind a relevant, but negative POV. Just don't try to make me out to be some kind of child molestor when I'm not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't mind a relevant, but negative POV. Just don't try to make me out to be some kind of child molestor when I'm not.
You are, by your own admission, and by DEFINITION, most definitely a child molester. :mad::mad:

Carey311

I don't think being tricked into sleeping with a minor makes you a child molestor. That's like putting marijuana in someone's brownies without their knowledge and then calling them a drug addict.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">