• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal advise or educated opinion...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danab55

What is the name of your state? CA

I don't know what to do or if to do anything. I lived a very clean, normal life up until 7 years ago. I was a straight I spent my whole life in California until 5 years ago. I was A student in high school- went on to UCLA and graduated in 1991. I only drank on social occasions and that was the extent of my "partying". I moved to a beach city- met a very "cool" roommate and long story short- got hooked on meth- snorting and smoking it. I lost a few great jobs- my whole life revolved around the stuff. I was not myself on it- started shoplifting- got caught for that and drugs as well. While I was out on O.R., I got another charge for the same thing. The courts, at this point, did not know about the other charges. My family jumped in to help- moved me to No. California, rehab- etc. I was hooked- I started living that life again and got another charge. I flew down south to court- the 2 cases were now in front of the judge. I went to county jail- and spent a year in twin towers in LA- nothing could be done, no bail set because I had a "hold" on me in No. California. I did 2 years total- had probation in both places and was trying to merge the 2 and get my life back together. It was too much and I was too close to that lifestyle to trust myself. I had a boyfriend who was clean and normal and we moved out of the state. I have not been back in 5 years. I have been totally clean- once again an upstanding citizen. I have called the courts- the clerk said my probation was revoked and there were warrants out for me but they would not come get me in Louisiana for my charges.
I hate having this hang over me- but I hate more the thought of jail again. I did a lot of time, I got clean and honestly lead an honest, hardworking life.
Is there anyway to handle this with the courts without going back to court? Can I write a letter to the judge showing w-2 forms for last 5 years, letters of recommendation from my family, my priest etc., show proof of volunteer work with teens and substance abuse, show copies of an apology letter to the store owner I stole from and explain that I cannot afford to come back there but want to address the situation- can I do this through a lawyer or on my own? Or is my only choice to get a lawyer, and go back there and appear in court?
I hope this makes sense- it scares me to even put this out there. Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Son of Slam

Lousiana=LA and Los Angeles=LA and that is about as good as it will get for you. An other option is to get in a boat and head south.

D

danab55

Thank you- your probably right and that was clever.

This is my first time posting something on the internet and I posted this in the drug charges forum on this site as well and I wish I would have gotten your reply first- I actually let that guy snostar get to me.

calatty

No, you can't take care of a probation violation by letter. You have to appear in court with an attorney. Your attorney can submit all your documentation to the court and argue for a shorter sentence or no jail/prison time, but there is no predicting what a court would do. They may not come and get you in Louisiana, but your name could come up in a warrant check some day if you get stopped.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">