• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IS this a legal arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheDid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

Can you be arrested for expired registration?

I have been being harassed by my local police for the past year. I was pulled over on July 7th for expired registration. I was in my fathers vehicle and the registration had just expired at the end of June '12, so it was lapsed by 7 days. I was under the impression that my dad had renewed his registration just that the new sticker and registration were with him back in PA where the vehicle is currently registered and to where the new documents would have been mailed. Irrelevant, sorry. Can you be arrested for expired registration? I was placed under arrest, handcuffed & placed in the back of a cop car. As the arresting officer stood at the trunk of his vehicle and searched through my entire purse, four cops proceeded to search my dads vehicle, then they had a drug dog come and search the vehicle, if that wasn't enough then they searched it again and still found nothing. The one officer found someone elses EBT card in my purse and charged me with theft. Am I just crazy or does this seem a bit extreme for registration that had expired 7 days prior. I had never been arrested before nor have I ever been charged with anything other than traffic violations.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

Can you be arrested for expired registration?

I have been being harassed by my local police for the past year. I was pulled over on July 7th for expired registration. I was in my fathers vehicle and the registration had just expired at the end of June '12, so it was lapsed by 7 days. I was under the impression that my dad had renewed his registration just that the new sticker and registration were with him back in PA where the vehicle is currently registered and to where the new documents would have been mailed. Irrelevant, sorry. Can you be arrested for expired registration? I was placed under arrest, handcuffed & placed in the back of a cop car. As the arresting officer stood at the trunk of his vehicle and searched through my entire purse, four cops proceeded to search my dads vehicle, then they had a drug dog come and search the vehicle, if that wasn't enough then they searched it again and still found nothing. The one officer found someone elses EBT card in my purse and charged me with theft. Am I just crazy or does this seem a bit extreme for registration that had expired 7 days prior. I had never been arrested before nor have I ever been charged with anything other than traffic violations.

Katie.
You only need to post once. :cool:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/arrested-ars-28-2322-expired-registration-non-resident-vehicle-582025.html

CdwJava

I have been being harassed by my local police for the past year. I was pulled over on July 7th for expired registration. I was in my fathers vehicle and the registration had just expired at the end of June '12, so it was lapsed by 7 days.
Apparently 7 days is sufficient to justify a detention. It is in every other state.

Can you be arrested for expired registration? I was placed under arrest, handcuffed & placed in the back of a cop car.
Apparently you can.

What code section were you charged with violating? I suspect that there was more to the case than an expired registration. You will know more when your attorney gets a copy of the police report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">