• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal \ illegal ? search of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Conjuring

colorado
My friend is renting a lot out of a storage facility and is pretty much living there which the landlord has no problems or any issues with it (enclosed trailer ), He has running water and restroom facilities .Recently 2 detectives stopped in to do a "knock and talk " because someone told them he had a meth lab there . He didnt know what to tell them nor did he know his rights , but he knew for a fact there wasnt a lab there .They scared him into giving consent to search . They found nothing but a pipe that had nothing in it . Officer says some words and tells him he'll be in touch soon and to have a good day . He comes back and decides to tell him that if he doesnt work with him "snitch " that he is going to turn him into code enforcement and get him evicted . He tells him he doesnt know of any labs and doesnt want to work with them..They come back 2 days later with fire /code , dea .... and proceed to start searching his property (no search warrant ). It turns out a atv he had bought a while back was stolen and arrested him for theft by receiving . And then proceeded to impound 4 other trailers he had no registrations for
is this legal for them to do and can they just stop by from here on out and go through his stuff whenever they want to ?
:mad:

stephenk

once he gave consent the detectives could search where they want.

since your friend does not own or rent the property, the detectives can search it.

when they figured out the atv was stolen, the detectives are allowed to search again.

C

Conjuring

He is "renting " and he gave them consent 5 days prior to them discovering the atv. The day they found out the atv was stolen he specifically told them he didnt consent to them searching the premises .
Him giving them consent one time gives them a right to come back whenever they want to ???

M

macktosh

your "friend" is a liar and a LOSER...so just let him sit in the pokey for a while.

He KNEW the ATV was stolen, or else he would have a bill of sale, and it would have been paid by check or money order and he would have the reciepts to show the police.

C

Conjuring

macktosh said:
your "friend" is a liar and a LOSER...so just let him sit in the pokey for a while.

He KNEW the ATV was stolen, or else he would have a bill of sale, and it would have been paid by check or money order and he would have the reciepts to show the police.

Thank you so much for your opinion of my friend I much appreciate it :D, Second he DID have a BILL OF SALE and BANK STATEMENT . All I was asking was is it legal for them to conduct this search .
the issue wasnt rather the atv was stolen or not that wasnt the issue .Or did I miss something ?

S

sec8

First off it is not unusual to own an affroad vehicle with no bill of sale, anyone who has owned these toys knows there is rarely a bill of sale or title or anything when bought used. Do not tell the detectives anything, a detective can not do anything for you period, nor can any other officer, snitching will not help you. Only the Da and the Judge can make deals and you need that in writing. The only friend you have in this situation is your attorney, do not talk to anyone about anything except your attorney, law enforcement are legally allowed to lie to you to get any information they can, even if the information seems harmless they"can and will, use anything you say against you". I would seek legal counsel there is a huge chance these guys didn't follow procedure and it's your job to hold them accountable as they would you.

C

Conjuring

stephenk said:
was the atv sitting out in the open?
Yes it was sititting in the open but in his part of the property that he was renting
also the yard is fenced and has a gaurd shack, but they rarely use the security gate and dont really regulate who comes and goes . I would think it would be considered private property ? Also he does have security cameras on his area and does have signs posted stating " video surveillence " and did get the officers going through his belongings
on tape . Would this be a tool he can use in his defense ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">