• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to be middle man?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rabbi

Hello, I am a New York State resident. First time poster..

If Joe pays me $1000, I forward $500 of it to someone outside the country (and keep the rest) and arrange forthe person ship to something to Joe that is illegal to import, have I committed a crime? Basically I middle man what would normally be considered an illegal importation, but never have posession of the illegal product myself.

MoneyShot

Sounds like grounds for conspiracy charges to me. Yep, you're in just as deep as Joe is. Anyone else care to add to this? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

outonbail

rabbi said:
Hello, I am a New York State resident. First time poster..

If Joe pays me $1000, I forward $500 of it to someone outside the country (and keep the rest) and arrange forthe person ship to something to Joe that is illegal to import, have I committed a crime? Basically I middle man what would normally be considered an illegal importation, but never have posession of the illegal product myself.
So your asking if it is all right for you to import something, which would be illegal for everyone else in the country to import? Are there any other laws which don't apply to you, or is this the only one you believe your the exception to?

I'd say this is a close to a no brainer as they come, since arranging for something to ship to a destination in our country, is by definition, importing! So regardless of where you arrange to receive the item, or who ends up receiving it, you are still the importer and playing hot potato with the item and/or paperwork will not change that fact.

CdwJava

You face potential state and federal criminal charges. Specifically WHAT charges would depend on what you were importing and what your involvement was.

Yes, it's a crime.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">