• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a legal search?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Johnnyb77

Hypothetical question concerning correct jurisprudence. If one is pulled over (in Ohio) for a routine traffic stop, and the driver of the car seems mildly nervous upon bring pulled over while producing the license, registration, and insurance, and due to the nervousness of driver (which is a natural response) the officer asks permission to search the vehicle, and the driver declines, as a consequence the officer tells the driver that he will have a k9 unit walk the peripheral of the vehicle, and that if there was no positive on the part of the 9k then in that case they would not engage in vehicle search.
After completing several circuits around the vehicle the k9 does not respond (bark) at all, after which the k9 is withdrawn; however the police inspite of that, still engage in a search of the vehicle, in which an item of minor paraphernalia is discovered. In such a case Is the product of the search in this case fruit of the poison tree, and thus not admissible in court?

CdwJava

If the detention was not unduly prolonged, then the police may walk the dog around the vehicle.

And who told you that the dog's alert is a bark? I have not known a drug dog to alert that way. I suppose they can, and maybe somewhere they do, but not where I have worked in CA.

You are free to have your attorney file a motion to suppress the evidence arguing an unlawful search. Depending upon ALL the facts of the case, maybe it will succeed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">