• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Searching?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Swav107

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am just curious on the search and seizure laws in Michigan. Lets say I get pulled over, does a police officer have the right to search my car or trunk? When I got pulled over for my Possession charge, he didnt search my trunk. Even if they see an illegal substance, does this give them reason to search your car? I heard (not a trustworthy source) that you need a warrant to search anything locked in the car including the trunk and glovebox.

CdwJava

Swav107 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am just curious on the search and seizure laws in Michigan. Lets say I get pulled over, does a police officer have the right to search my car or trunk? When I got pulled over for my Possession charge, he didnt search my trunk. Even if they see an illegal substance, does this give them reason to search your car? I heard (not a trustworthy source) that you need a warrant to search anything locked in the car including the trunk and glovebox.
If you were arrested, and MI state law permits impound inventories at an arrest, there is USSC case law that permits them to search the entire vehicle as part of an inventory prior to a lawful impound.

Any stop that results in your vehicle being impound could allow the cops to search.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">