• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal "teams"??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MikeVa

What is the name of your state? Virginia

The teenager accused of killing a Richmond police officer now has three attorneys. Thursday in court, a judge appointed public defenders to represent Peter Boone.

I am wondering WHY that kid who shot the police officer (Boone) is getting THREE lawyers!! Why do the taxpayers of Virginia have to supply him or Muhammed or Malvo or any of them with more than ONE attorney? I understand that Malvo has "a team" of attorneys. Miranda says that "You are entitled to a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you." Now, unless I'm missing something from the New Math, one means ONE, a single, solitary, lone, less than two-more than zero, ONE!!

I read on the Internet that American taxpayers spent some $80 million just to DEFEND Macveigh - This does not include whatever was spent by the prosecution side. Are we to be expected to finance THREE or MORE lawyers for Muhammad and Malvo at a cost of $1.2 million each per trial for all of their 13 trials? Don't you see something wrong with this picture? This is a practice that I feel should be stopped by the Justice Department or whoever is responsible for deciding who gets what lawyer(s).

MIRANDA RIGHTS

1. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand?
2. Anything you do say may be used against you in a court of law. Do you understand?
3. You have the right to consult an (This does not mean 3, it does not mean "a team".. It means ONE) attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand?
4. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand?
5. If you decide to answer questions now without an attorney present you will still have the right to stop answering at any time until you talk to an attorney. Do you understand?
6. Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without an attorney present?

Thank you,
MikeVa

stephenk

the cost to each of the 265 million U.S. residents came to 32 cents each to defend McVeigh. Is that too expensive for you?

U.S. taxpayers do not pay to defend the kid in Richmond, only the residents of Virginia. The cost is paid through the public defenders office budget. The PD office decides how many of their attorneys will be assigned to defend a particular case. Similar to the prosecutor having 3-4 assistant prosecutors help out in the prosecution of the case.

pick a better fight, you wont really win on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">