• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Length of investigation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkj228

What is the name of your state?Pa
I'm being investrigated for an alledge sex abuse. This has been going on since August 8 of '05. I haven't heard anything from anybody except that Children and Youth Services made a report that was found "indicated". Meaning they feel there was abuse but no court finding has been made.
I should'nt have anything to worry since the allegations were apparently a ploy from a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. But is there a limitation on an investigation? How long can this go on? And will they (anyone involved in the investigation) let me know if they don't have enough to charge me? Or do I go on day to day for months and months wondering what is going to happen?
Thank you for any in put.

seniorjudge

bkj228 said:
What is the name of your state?Pa
I'm being investrigated for an alledge sex abuse. This has been going on since August 8 of '05. I haven't heard anything from anybody except that Children and Youth Services made a report that was found "indicated". Meaning they feel there was abuse but no court finding has been made.
I should'nt have anything to worry since the allegations were apparently a ploy from a disgruntled ex-girlfriend. But is there a limitation on an investigation? How long can this go on? And will they (anyone involved in the investigation) let me know if they don't have enough to charge me? Or do I go on day to day for months and months wondering what is going to happen?
Thank you for any in put.
Since you have been purposely vague, I will just guess and say that the government has at least a year (from the time it happened) and maybe more to investigate this felony.

JETX

bkj228 said:
But is there a limitation on an investigation? How long can this go on? And will they (anyone involved in the investigation) let me know if they don't have enough to charge me? Or do I go on day to day for months and months wondering what is going to happen?
Depends entirely on what you are talking about.

Civil liability: Section 5533(b) of Title 42 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes are amended to provide a SOL of 12 years from the date of a victim reaching his or her age of majority (18).

Criminal Liability: Depending on specifics (age, etc.) is two to five years from the date when the abuse occurred to file a criminal case.

CPS investigation: Pretty much as long as the child(ren) can be at risk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">