• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letting her go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JimSpence

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MO
Our daughter, 23 years old, started taking meth about a year or so ago. She had my two beautiful grandbabies before this, and has since lost everything. I mean she has nothing.

We tried the helping her stage. A seemingly endless story.

Finally, last night, she was picked up by the police because her and her boyfriend stole a Durango earlier in the week and had meth and needles in the stolen car. I got my laptop back from the event too.

The police did not get her boyfriend since I guess they ran out of gas and he was walking to a gas station. He’s on probation and I’m sure disappeared.

They transferred our daughter to the hospital since she was afu’d. After about 18 hours in ER, they are releasing her.

That’s my problem. Hello – stolen car??? Hello – meth and needles??? They are letting her back out on the streets again??? Oh God throw the book at her – it’s her only hope.

I’d pay for forced rehab. What is going on? Why are they letting her go? Stolen car? I don’t get it.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?MO
Our daughter, 23 years old, started taking meth about a year or so ago. She had my two beautiful grandbabies before this, and has since lost everything. I mean she has nothing.

We tried the helping her stage. A seemingly endless story.

Finally, last night, she was picked up by the police because her and her boyfriend stole a Durango earlier in the week and had meth and needles in the stolen car. I got my laptop back from the event too.

The police did not get her boyfriend since I guess they ran out of gas and he was walking to a gas station. He’s on probation and I’m sure disappeared.

They transferred our daughter to the hospital since she was afu’d. After about 18 hours in ER, they are releasing her.

That’s my problem. Hello – stolen car??? Hello – meth and needles??? They are letting her back out on the streets again??? Oh God throw the book at her – it’s her only hope.

I’d pay for forced rehab. What is going on? Why are they letting her go? Stolen car? I don’t get it.

The ER can't hold her unless she's a danger to herself or others - and believe it or not, being a meth addicted thief generally doesn't qualify.

dave33

Jim, I am truly and sincerely sorry for what you are going through. In this situation there is not much you can do. Addiction is a tortured existence for the addict and anyone that cares about them. Unfortunately the reality is, is if she gets through this alive than she is very lucky.

I cannot answer your above question because there simply isn'[t enough information. It seems more and more that addicts that get into trouble will work for the police to be let go. The cops care nothing about her as an individual. This is just one possibility among a thousand possibilities. goodluck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The police probably do not have enough evidence to connect her to the stolen car. If she says the boyfriend stole it without her knowledge and he's not around to say otherwise, they may not be able to justify holding her on it. Innocent until proven guilty, y'know?

I wish I could give you a better answer. I can't even imagine your pain, and I'm sorry.

FlyingRon

The police probably do not have enough evidence to connect her to the stolen car. If she says the boyfriend stole it without her knowledge and he's not around to say otherwise, they may not be able to justify holding her on it. Innocent until proven guilty, y'know?

I wish I could give you a better answer. I can't even imagine your pain, and I'm sorry.
Even if they intend to charge her, they're not under any obligation to keep her in custody.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
There is probably an ongoing investigation into the entire incident and it is certainly a possibility that she will be arrested at a later date.

JimSpence

She did it again last night, stole a car and the police were going to pull her over thinking she was drunk. High speed pursuit crossing two counties, even spike strips didn't stop her. Needless to say, she is finally in custody and more importantly, no one was hurt. So this is finally over for now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">