• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

license issues, IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

modisch

Illinois

About 6 months ago, I got in a fight at a bar. The people there called the police and I was taken to the hospital. At the hospital the police wrote me tickets, charging me for 1. Battery (for starting the fight), 2. Misuse of identification (I was 20 and using a fake ID), and 3. Being intoxicated underage.

Shortly after I got a letter in the mail saying my drivers license was being suspended for 1 year because of the 2nd charge. I haven't driven since.

I have a lawyer, who is somewhat of a family friend and she is doing the work for me for free. However, I get the impression she is giving me a half-effort at best. I pled not guilty and was conficted of charge 2 and 3 which are city ordinance violations.

I still do not have a driver's license and my lawyer says it is impossible to get it back, that shes trying her hardest and that my case wouldnt go over well enough in front of a hearing officer to get my license back. At the same time, I have 3 friends that have gotten DUIs in the time since I lost my license and 2 of them already have there licenses back, 1 of them gets it back in December... I don't get mine back till May. I can't help but wonder if something is wrong here. Can anyone help me with this? Shouldn't I be able to get my license back sooner than someone conficted of drunk driving?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">