• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied about intent of visit to Canadian Customs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blaine

Washington State

I am 19 years old. Few days ago I went to Canada to buy alcohol from the local liquor store. When asked why I was visiting Canada, I lied for some idiotic reason and said that I was dropping off camping gear that my friends left from a party earlier in the week. When asked whether I had anything in the trunk I lied and said yes, however the only thing in the trunk was my dad's laptop that he uses for work. Then I was asked to pop the trunk and there obviosly was no camping gear there. So I made up a story that I asked my mom to put camping gear in the trunk but she forgot. Of course they didn't buy and searched the laptop and the car. After some questioning and searching I was then asked to go outside. Officers told me that I either tell them the truth right away or they were going to take the car apart piece by piece. I told them the truth and they were quite surprised that I drove for 2 hours just to go to liquor store. While they were very serious with me they had good laugh over this behind the counter. They asked me why didn't I just ask someone to buy me what I came for to Canada back in US. I was then questioned a little more and told that this is no joke and lying to border control is punishable by law up to 2 years.

They returned everything except for the directions to the liquor store (not that this is important, but I'm trying to give everything in detail). Then I signed the a form that stated that today I was going back to US and was given my Green Card back. When I asked whether this event would impare my ability to visit Canada I was told that it all depents on how good the reason for coming would be next time. Then they gave me the copy of the document I signed earlier and told me to pass it on to US border control. At US border checkpoint I was told to park my car and come inside. Then US border control officer read me a lecture on how I could get deported for this kind of stuff being a Green Card holder. They also said that they would obviosly throw away the liquor if I was going to declare it being it is illegal to be in possesion of alcohol under 21. Officers also asked me if I ever had my photographs or fingerprints taken (Never). I asked if this was going to go in my "History" and they replied with vague "Not yet". I had no problems at the border before on either side and was rarely checked for my identification. I also have no history of any kind, not even a traffic ticket.

1) Will this go on record at either US or Canadian customs? (Or was this simply verbally discussed not put into any database?)

2) Will this have any effect on my US citizenship application?

3) Will this impare my ability to enter Canada again?

Best Regards

magic55

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Exspecially knwoing you have a green card. You drive two hours to get alcohol. Thats pathetic kid. If your going to do that just go over to canada and go bar hoping and they dont care, but drive two hours just to buy it. Not to mention attempting to bring it back to the usa is alot worse then buying in the usa and getting caught. I live in buffalo, ny, so i guess I have it easier.

1. Yes they tag your license number and name. You will be stopped and questioned every time you attemp to go over the border.

2. Not really.

3. See answer to question 1.

blaine

magic55 said:
Not to mention attempting to bring it back to the usa is alot worse then buying in the usa and getting caught.
I didn't attempt to bring back to US as I wasn't even able to buy it. I said that I was going to declaire it or simply stay in Canada for couple days, so they can't charge me with attempting to smuggle anything, can they?

xylene

Alcohol is legal at 19 in Canada. There is NO reason to lie to customs. That said you lying to customs shows concssousness of guilt.

You CANNOT bring alcohol into the US.

As you are an immigrant do not violate laws.

They were vague and intimidating to teach you a lesson without:
1) All the paperwork
2) The need to wreck a good kids life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">