• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lit Cigarette

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flaskpost

California
Santa Barbara

Hi! I got arrested in Santa Barbara this weekend for throwing a cigarette on the ground. It was not out of a moving vehicle just on the ground. He marked it as a misdemeanor. I read somewhere that the fine for throwing out a cigarette from a car window was 1025$
Is it the same amount for me? Should I get a lawyer or something?

Marcus

HomeGuru

California
Santa Barbara

Hi! I got arrested in Santa Barbara this weekend for throwing a cigarette on the ground. It was not out of a moving vehicle just on the ground. He marked it as a misdemeanor. I read somewhere that the fine for throwing out a cigarette from a car window was 1025$

Marcus
**A: have you been living in a cave? Do you know how many fires there have been in CA?

CdwJava

California
Santa Barbara

Marcus
That depends ... what was the code section on your citation?

In short, this was at the very least, littering. Littering doesn't require tossing a cig out of a car.

- Carl

flaskpost

Thank you for your answear!

I'm not from America, I'm from Sweden which makes the whole thing a little more complicated. What does littering mean?

Code and Section:

Description:
VL - Lit
Cig
Roadway

That depends ... what was the code section on your citation?

In short, this was at the very least, littering. Littering doesn't require tossing a cig out of a car.

- Carl

Antigone*

I'm not from America, I'm from Sweden which makes the whole thing a little more complicated. What does littering mean?

Code and Section:

Description:
VL - Lit
Cig
Roadway
23111. No person in any vehicle and no pedestrian shall throw or discharge from or upon any road or highway or adjoining area, public or private, any lighted or nonlighted cigarette, cigar, match, or any flaming or glowing substance.

Carl will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the fine can be up to $1,000.

CdwJava

Code and Section:

Description:
VL - Lit
Cig
Roadway
"Littering" is throwing trash on the ground.

23111. No person in any vehicle and no pedestrian shall throw or
discharge from or upon any road or highway or adjoining area, public
or private, any lighted or nonlighted cigarette, cigar, match, or any
flaming or glowing substance.
This section shall be known as the
Paul Buzzo Act.​
You tossed the cigarette down on the road or adjoining area and got cited for it.

Per the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule the recommended fine and associated fees should come to about $380.

- Carl

flaskpost

Ok thanks for your help Carl, saved me from alot of pressure!

"Littering" is throwing trash on the ground.

23111. No person in any vehicle and no pedestrian shall throw or
discharge from or upon any road or highway or adjoining area, public
or private, any lighted or nonlighted cigarette, cigar, match, or any
flaming or glowing substance.
This section shall be known as the
Paul Buzzo Act.​
You tossed the cigarette down on the road or adjoining area and got cited for it.

Per the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule the recommended fine and associated fees should come to about $380.

- Carl

FlyingRon

Paul Buzzo at the age of 11 noticed that the wording of the law said it was illegal to throw lit objects on the road. A sharp kid he pointed out that it wasn't the road that burned. He wrote his assemblyman and the legislator was suitably impressed by the youngster's argument and revised it to read as it does today. As a result of his effort, the legislature titled the bill after him.

Antigone*

Paul Buzzo at the age of 11 noticed that the wording of the law said it was illegal to throw lit objects on the road. A sharp kid he pointed out that it wasn't the road that burned. He wrote his assemblyman and the legislator was suitably impressed by the youngster's argument and revised it to read as it does today. As a result of his effort, the legislature titled the bill after him.
Very cool little piece of trivia. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">