• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss Of Property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confu.sed.

This is Happening in Illinois.

A friend lent me a book last year. The book is now out of print and I have misplaced it. I was living at a [then] friends house but things went sour and I left. I left the family a letter promising to give them money for letting me stay there and took some of my belongings. I left clothes, books and a bed mattress behind, I planned on picking my belongings up when I got a steady job. I had forgotten I left my bag of books there. She has been asking me for the book back several times within the past several months. I've told her again and again that I do not remember what happened to the book, it should've been at my other friends house, she asked him if it was there and he said no. I have told her numerous times that I will buy the book when it is put back into print later this year but she says she won't accept that. she is demanding her edition back which costs over $100. money I do not have due to the fact I cannot find a job. I can afford to spend about $30 which should cover the cost of this book when it is reprinted. Tonight over an instant messenger she threatened to take me to court over this small issue if I didn't replace her edition of the book. I told her I cannot do that and would still be replacing her book with what I can afford.

does she have a case?

Mass_Shyster

This is Happening in Illinois.

A friend lent me a book last year. The book is now out of print and I have misplaced it. I was living at a [then] friends house but things went sour and I left. I left the family a letter promising to give them money for letting me stay there and took some of my belongings. I left clothes, books and a bed mattress behind, I planned on picking my belongings up when I got a steady job. I had forgotten I left my bag of books there. She has been asking me for the book back several times within the past several months. I've told her again and again that I do not remember what happened to the book, it should've been at my other friends house, she asked him if it was there and he said no. I have told her numerous times that I will buy the book when it is put back into print later this year but she says she won't accept that. she is demanding her edition back which costs over $100. money I do not have due to the fact I cannot find a job. I can afford to spend about $30 which should cover the cost of this book when it is reprinted. Tonight over an instant messenger she threatened to take me to court over this small issue if I didn't replace her edition of the book. I told her I cannot do that and would still be replacing her book with what I can afford.

does she have a case?
She has a strong case.

She loaned you the book, so you are responsible to her for the book. Replacing a first edition with a second edition may not be an acceptable (to her) replacement.

Have you checked amazon or ebay for another copy?

Confu.sed.

yeah. as I said, it is far more than I can afford and I've told her this.

The last thing I said to her before she signed off was that the last place it should have been was at the person's house I was living at previously and if none of my stuff was there then he must've thrown it all away meaning he threw the book away.

And she can take me to court over this?
wow.

Confu.sed.

you know there's no need for sarcasm.

I just think it would be slightly childish and pointless, I know I owe her a book and I cannot afford it at this moment, I told her I would replace it with what I can. homeless and jobless. wouldn't it cost more for a lawyer? She has things that belong to me but I'm not throwing a hissy fit and threatening court, it seems childish to take it to that extreme.

I found out it was thrown away by the people I lived with who are close friends of the other person. doesn't that have some effect? That isn't my fault that THEY threw it away. I know i misplaced it and I'm offering to give what I can afford to do. if I'm taken to court, I suppose I don't mind too much.

rkhan147

you know there's no need for sarcasm.

I just think it would be slightly childish and pointless, I know I owe her a book and I cannot afford it at this moment, I told her I would replace it with what I can. homeless and jobless. wouldn't it cost more for a lawyer? She has things that belong to me but I'm not throwing a hissy fit and threatening court, it seems childish to take it to that extreme.

I found out it was thrown away by the people I lived with who are close friends of the other person. doesn't that have some effect? That isn't my fault that THEY threw it away. I know i misplaced it and I'm offering to give what I can afford to do. if I'm taken to court, I suppose I don't mind too much.
Dont listen to the pro's !!! it is a stupid case about a stupid book . tell her you will get it when you can afford it . court or no court you cannot afford it now .... period.

Yertle8

So do you think that the person who lent you the book should have to go after the people who threw it away after you left it? No, she goes after you, then maybe you go after them for your belongings, including the cost of the book that you were forced to pay for.

She doesn't need a lawyer for small claims court. I'm surprised that you're surprised that she can sue you.

Yertle8

Dont listen to the pro's !!! it is a stupid case about a stupid book . tell her you will get it when you can afford it . court or no court you cannot afford it now .... period.
Great advice. When she gets a default judgement in small claims court (you know, where they handle stupid cases about stupid books), because he doesn't show up and she garnishes his bank account for $100 he should come back and thank you for the great advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">