• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost cell phone searched

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AlangloisII

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
my cell phone was dropped outside of my Dr's office and was turned in to the local police. It wasn't a big deal until 3 days later my exwife called me and asked if i lost my phone. What happened in the short time it was at the PD is that the dispatcher is the son in law of my ex's new man. He copy texts from my phone and sent them to his wife who then sent them to my ex's boyfriend. She was given the third degree because of her texting me. I realize that they have to find out the owner of the phone but "mom" was the first name in my call log.I filed a complaint against the dispatcher but do i have any other legal actions that i can use against them for going through my phone more than was needed and sharing info with non-police individuals ?
Thanks, Allen

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH
my cell phone was dropped outside of my Dr's office and was turned in to the local police. It wasn't a big deal until 3 days later my exwife called me and asked if i lost my phone. What happened in the short time it was at the PD is that the dispatcher is the son in law of my ex's new man. He copy texts from my phone and sent them to his wife who then sent them to my ex's boyfriend. She was given the third degree because of her texting me. I realize that they have to find out the owner of the phone but "mom" was the first name in my call log.I filed a complaint against the dispatcher but do i have any other legal actions that i can use against them for going through my phone more than was needed and sharing info with non-police individuals ?
Thanks, Allen
It appears the son-in-law violated a privacy law or two when trying to locate the owner of the phone, but filing a complaint with the police department was probably the best action for you to take. You have your phone back now and all is right with the world again.

davew128

How they did it was wrong, but on my and my GFs phones, when they lock themselves we set up text on the lock screen saying "If found, please call.....at...." Since my GF HAS lost her phone I thought it wise. Sure enough, once when she lost a phone (its happened more than once) a couple months later I got a call from someone who found the phone, powered it up and called me after seeing the message.

aardvarc

In most police agencies, behavior like this on the part of a dispatcher is a sure, quick, road to unemployment. And it should be. Dispatchers often have access to things that even officers don't have access to, and most agencies simply will NOT tolerate the use of ANY information for ANY non-official reason. It's exactly this sort of stupid thing that ends careers.

Ladyback1

In most police agencies, behavior like this on the part of a dispatcher is a sure, quick, road to unemployment. And it should be. Dispatchers RARELY have access to things that even officers don't have access to, and most agencies simply will NOT tolerate the use of ANY information for ANY non-official reason. It's exactly this sort of stupid thing that ends careers.
Fixed for you.

The officers have access to everything the dispatchers have access to, ESPECIALLY if they are running MDTs (mobile data terminal). Dispatchers are the ones that have the time to search NCIC, or NLETs and/or whatever your state's database acronym is (ours is CJIN).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">