• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Luminol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miadora

Anyone know how to telll what is blood and what is just the luminol ? Every where I spray seems to light up a yellowish green color. It can't all be blood, I think the luminol itself just glows but not sure. It is blue star brand.
Thanks

Miadora

Sorry. I thought this was for general criminal advice. Last time I posted a police officer answered my question.

quincy

Sorry. I thought this was for general criminal advice. Last time I posted a police officer answered my question.
What advice do you need?

This forum DOES offer legal advice but it is not a source for general criminal information. You can do your own search for information on luminol and Bluestar and you can learn in your search how both detect trace amounts of blood, how they do this (e.g., iron in the blood), and what can cause a false positive.

If you are involved in a crime, and you need to know how luminol can be used by forensic investigators to help or hinder your defense, then we can address that.

I haven't reviewed your posting history. Are you a crime writer?

Edit: Following is a link to your other (now-locked) thread on your belief that your father was murdered. If the question you ask now relates to your concerns then, I don't see how this forum can help you, Miadora. Sorry.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/arrests-searches-warrants-procedure-26/private-autopsie-police-628194.html

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Legal advice, not criminal advice.

Anyhow, luminol in conjuction with an oxidizer (often hyrdrogen peroxide) will show up in UV light when reacting with certain other compounds, particularly with the iron in the hemoglobin. It will also react with certain other compounds (particuarly copper compounds as well) and sometimes hemoglobin shows up in other substances (like urine). So while luminol is a great initial screen and if you need to just see a blood pool or splatter pattern, then it's sufficient by itself. If you need to prove that the substance it detects is blood, you have to do additional testing.

Miadora

Thanks but this is Blluestar , it doesn't need any special light... it is premixed and lights up in the dark. But almost everywhere I mist (especially the hard wood floor) lights up immediately a greenish yellow bright glow. The one spot where I can actually see blood smear on wall does light up a different , intense blue color. There are also some latent blood streaks near the sighted blood that intensely glow blue. I just don't know if it's normal for this stuff to glow yellow everywhere I spray on the floor and maybe I'm supposed to look for an intense blue within that yellow glow or might it mean that floor was mopped and the yellow means possible latent blood residue ?
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks but this is Blluestar , it doesn't need any special light... it is premixed and lights up in the dark. But almost everywhere I mist (especially the hard wood floor) lights up immediately a greenish yellow bright glow. The one spot where I can actually see blood smear on wall does light up a different , intense blue color. There are also some latent blood streaks near the sighted blood that intensely glow blue. I just don't know if it's normal for this stuff to glow yellow everywhere I spray on the floor and maybe I'm supposed to look for an intense blue within that yellow glow or might it mean that floor was mopped and the yellow means possible latent blood residue ?
Thanks
Please understand that, if you somehow get your wish of the police investigating, you are contaminating the scene.

quincy

Thanks
This is a legal advice forum, Miadora. If you have questions about Bluestar, this is not the appropriate site for you to find answers.

But here. Try this link and then do a search online for more information on Bluestar. There is a lot of information available.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/forensic-science/Pages/forensic-programs-crime-scene-luminol.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">