• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Assault 2nd Degree? Please Explain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJLegacy2k5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello,

I am a 24 year old male with no prior arrests or issues of any kind. I do however DJ and spend lots of times in night clubs. The other night I was leaving a night club in which I was trying to talk to the owner about working at the location. After I left the club I headed to meet my friends in the parking lot where our truck was parked. (Keeping in mind I was not intoxicated as my friends were seeing as I was there for business) When I reached the parking lot I saw one of my friends with a bloody chin and lip. I stopped to ask what happened and to find out how everyone was getting home. At that time the police officers that were around told everyone to clear the area. I asked one of the officers what was going to happen to my friends and explained that I was just a DJ from the club and was trying to get to the car. I dont know if this officer thought I was a part of the fight which had led to my friends bloody face but he responds to my question and comment with "well now you're going to central from assaulting a police officer." There was obviously some commotion in the parking lot at this time, but I honestly was not involved in any of it. Both of the people that were involved in the fighting were not charged with anything but I have been charged with "second degree assault with penalties of 10yrs jail and/or $2500 fine".

I did get a lawyer but I will not be seeing him until Thursday of this week, tomorrow I have Baltimore City PreTrial Services? Im not even sure what this is. Can someone please explain how this is possible that I am charged with something like this, what I am facing realistically for something like this seeing as there were no violent or threatening actions made, I am very lost and confused about this situation seeing as I have never been in any legal trouble before.

Thank You For Any Help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">