• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Max civil fine for walmart shoplift ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tim50

What is the name of your state? IA

What is max Civil damage/fine for the persone who shoplift items worth $175 ? These items has been shoplifted by Walmart. And what is the time frame, we have to pay the fine for the same ? And if will not pay what will happnen ?

The Occultist

How much are they demanding you pay? And yes, it can/will be a lot more than $175.

The amount of time you have to pay will be dictated in the letter they send you.

If you do not pay, they can take you to court and get a LOT more money out of you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As an aside, I find it both humorous and sad that people feel the need to shoplift from WALMART! :cool:

JETX

What is max Civil damage/fine for the persone who shoplift items worth $175 ?
Iowa Code:
645.3 Liability.
1. A person who knowingly and without claim of right wrongfully appropriates, takes possession of, or alters the price indicia of merchandise of a mercantile establishment without the consent of the owner and with the intent to convert the merchandise to the person's own use without having paid the full purchase price for it, is liable for:
a. The return of the merchandise or the purchase price of the merchandise, provided that the merchandise is not evidence in a criminal proceeding under chapter 714 .
b. Actual damages for any decrease in value of the merchandise returned.
c. The greater of fifty dollars or actual costs, not to exceed two hundred dollars, incurred by the owner in recovering the merchandise or damages pursuant to this chapter.
2. Damages awarded under this section shall be reduced by any amount received by the owner pursuant to court ordered restitution under chapter 232A or 910 .
3. The parent or parents of an unemancipated minor child under the age of eighteen years are liable for any judgment awarded against the child pursuant to subsection 1 in accordance with, and subject to the limits established in, section 613.16 .

And what is the time frame, we have to pay the fine for the same ?
You have the amount of time it takes them to file a lawsuit against you... and then you get to pay a LOT more (legal fees, court costs, etc.).

And if will not pay what will happnen ?
You will have a judgment against you (PUBLIC record of your conduct) and be forced to pay LOTS more.

tim50

deffered judgement

I got deffered judgement with 1 yr unsupervised probation + 250$ court fine includes 60$ Civil fine. But I didn't got any civil demad letter from Store....I am not sure they will send me or not ? It is 3 weeks over.

Never do shoplift**************.It is really a big crime....10$ item cost $2000**************....Thanks....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">