• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Marijuana Card and the Feds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AzHeathen

State: Arizona

(Not sure what category this is supposed to be listed under, so please feel free to move this thread to the right place.)

I was considering attaining a medical Marijuana card, but I know that would technically prohibit me from purchasing a firearm or ammo from a federally licensed gun shop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldnt that sort of thing be covered by doctor-patient confidentiality? At what point would the state of arizona be required to disclose the names of their patients to the federal government?

Would this put me on "a list", or show up on a background check?

As an avid gun owner I would hate to have my hobby jeapordized for something so small. It doesn't seem constitutional to have the government dictate who can own firearms and who cant based on a thing like this. I just wanted to know before I made any mistakes.

Any help is appreciated.

TigerD

As an avid gun owner, I'm just a-okay with denying the right to own firearms to people with such serious and disabling medical problems that they need to violate federal law and consume mind-altering substances to get through the day.

TD

Just Blue

As an avid gun owner, I'm just a-okay with denying the right to own firearms to people with such serious and disabling medical problems that they need to violate federal law and consume mind-altering substances to get through the day.

TD
As a non-drug user but a person with NO PROBLEM with MJ.

I also have no problem with people that need to take drugs to get through the day being denied a gun permit. ;)

CdwJava

I am not intimately familiar with AZ law in this area, but, if it is anything like CA law, the fact that you get a recommendation is not going to end up on a list of prohibited purchasers and possessors. However, I have no more desire for stoned gun owners on the street than I do drunk or spun gun owners. And, if you are found to be high or in unlawful possession of any of these substances you COULD potentially lose your firearms.

Your call. Do you want dope that bad???

AzHeathen

I am not intimately familiar with AZ law in this area, but, if it is anything like CA law, the fact that you get a recommendation is not going to end up on a list of prohibited purchasers and possessors. However, I have no more desire for stoned gun owners on the street than I do drunk or spun gun owners. And, if you are found to be high or in unlawful possession of any of these substances you COULD potentially lose your firearms.

Your call. Do you want dope that bad???
Not if it will immediately land on my background check for firearms purchase.

I have a squeaky clean record and haven't smoked the stuff in 5+ years, and would never touch my firearms while high just like I dont when I drink.

To the other posters, the question wasn't "should I mix firearms and marijuana?", because obviously thats a no. Im trying to determine how thorough their process is for purchase denial. Im not going to make this political, so please start another thread if you are.

CdwJava

Not if it will immediately land on my background check for firearms purchase.

I have a squeaky clean record and haven't smoked the stuff in 5+ years, and would never touch my firearms while high just like I dont when I drink.
Then why the sudden desire to toke up????

While it is not likely to add you to an immediate prohibited list under current law, the mere possession of it - or being under the influence of it - could cause you to lose the ability to possess a firearm even if your possession or inebriation is unrelated to a firearm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">