• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Suspension on Liscence/ Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nefertari

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My question is really quite simple Is my husband going to be subject to being pulled over anytime an officer runs our plate while we are moving and discovers that I have a Medical Suspension on My liscence, thus pulls him over just to see if I'm driving? Were our rights violated when the officer did this for no reason? Is this Harassment? Didn't the officer see that I have an ID Card?

Now what happened on the night of Sept. 3 (4th at 2AM) my husband was driving my sons friends home after his birthday party. He noticed the officer catch up fast behind him then after a couple blocks he put on the lights. He, my son, and one friend were still in the car when the officer approched and asked if I, Nefertari was driving.(I haven't driven since March of 2001 after my first witnesed grand mal seizure, I have only an ID card, with the hospital reporting the seizure I have a Medical Suspension) When my husband said no heck she's not even in the car the officer fumbled and said he ran our plates and saw my suspension and not remembering if the driver was M/F he pulled him over. Now my husband is 6' and I'm 5'3" how can someone not tell that it was not the small person at the wheel?

My most concerning questions are how often should we expect to have POLICE officers just run our plates? because we are in front of them? When he had done nothing wrong? Yes we have insurance, good tags???
I feel VERY VIOLATED! Even though I was not in the car it was still my fault.

mycarlb

time of night...

You have to remember you did say it was over the HOLIDAY weekend, at 2am... so the officer most likely was running a stop for 2 reasons... he ran the plate because of the hour (possible drunk driver) and seeing that you weren't supposed to be driving, pulled the car over... that's not harrassment... it was dark out, how is the officer supposed to know who is behind the wheel until he gets to the window?

If your husband doesn't get pulled over during the daytime I would say it's definately not harrassment.

Nefertari

mycarlb said:
You have to remember you did say it was over the HOLIDAY weekend, at 2am... so the officer most likely was running a stop for 2 reasons... he ran the plate because of the hour (possible drunk driver) and seeing that you weren't supposed to be driving, pulled the car over... that's not harrassment... it was dark out, how is the officer supposed to know who is behind the wheel until he gets to the window?

If your husband doesn't get pulled over during the daytime I would say it's definately not harrassment.
OK but why do it in the first place if the car had done nothing wrong?

chris86

Medical Suspension on Liscence/Harassment?

I would consider having the car titled in your husband's name alone...if you have no license, I wouldn't have a car registered in your name...that might save your some problems. Your name won't come up when the tags are run. Just an idea. I feel for you. My son also has epilepsy/tonic-clonic seizures and cannot drive. He, therefore, will not have a car registered in his name, to save him from trouble just like this.

mycarlb

Nefertari said:
OK but why do it in the first place if the car had done nothing wrong?
Like I said before.... 2AM ----- HOLIDAY WEEKEND ---- Most officers know that 95% of the time someone has had a few drinks and shouldn't be on the road.... so they run the plate in hopes of finding some reason to legitimately pull over this car... and like Chris just said... why in the world would you register a car in your name if you have just had your license revoked?? That is their reason to pull the car over.

Go to the DMV and remove your name from all insurance, registration, etc... and this situation won't happen again...

CdwJava

An officer can run the plate of the vehicle for almost any reason. Stopping the vehicle because the registered owner (with a suspended license) MIGHT be the driver is a little weak, in my opinion. But, it seems to be okay to do in some states ... not so clear cut in CA as many cars are driven by people that are NOT the registered owners. Not to mention that the stop might lack foundation in reasonable suspicion without greater articulable facts.

In any case, you may want to get the car out of your name.

- carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">