• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mens Rea - Knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoredAtty

What is the name of your state? CA

Don't know why the stolen property thread was closed, except maybe because things went off topic. There was an interesting discussion developing with regard to the mental state required for guilt where the penal statute states that the accused had knowledge.

Does knowledge mean

(1) That the accused had actual knowledge, or
(2) That a reasonable person would have known.

I am fairly certain that the standard is (1), and California case law seems to back that position. I believe the disagreement in the other thread may have been due to a misunderstanding with regard to whether evidence of the obviousness of something can be used to prove knowledge.

I agree that if a reasonable person would have known, a jury may conclude that the accused knew, and subsequently convict. But, importantly, a jury may not convict the accused if they conclude that the defendant did not know, even if a reasonable person would have known.

tranquility

I agree that if a reasonable person would have known, a jury may conclude that the accused knew, and subsequently convict. But, importantly, a jury may not convict the accused if they conclude that the defendant did not know, even if a reasonable person would have known.
Agreed. It is a specific intent crime.

CdwJava

Agreed - knowledge has to be shown, but it can be shown by circumstances as well as by direct evidence.

Regularly buying brand new laptop computers at 25% of retail can be damning ... an actual case, by the way ... "I didn't know!" ... uh huh ... sure.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">