• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military records public info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CDHarroway

What is the name of your state? Fort Benning, Georgia

I was wondering if U. S. Army courts martial records was public information?

If so, where are the files transferred to after so many years?

L

Lusus Naturae

Military records are housed at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

Complete military and medical records, including DD-214s, can only be obtained by veterans or their next of kin, if the veteran has died.

Non relatives may also request this information, but they will not receive records of court martial for active duty personnel. When making a request, use governmet form SF-80 and explicitly state that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or your request will be ignored.

Form SF 180 is available on the Internet at http://www..va.gov/forms/index.htm

Last edited:
C

CDHarroway

Does anyone know if courts martials are public information?

L

loocpoc

CDHarroway said:
Does anyone know if courts martials are public information?
Certain parts of the courts martial information will be made public under FOIA. Info such as trial record and dispostion are considered public records.

L

Lusus Naturae

Court martials of active duty personnel are not public information, only those of veterans (FYI, even then there are areas which may fall under National Security and unavailable to the public).

L

loocpoc

Lusus Naturae said:
Court martials of active duty personnel are not public information, only those of veterans (FYI, even then there are areas which may fall under National Security and unavailable to the public).
As a former civilian investigator for a military branch, that is not true. First off courts martials are federal proceedings and by law the public has the right to see the record. Certain portions (those that fall under National security act of 1950) will usually be blacked out. The disportion is also made available as a public record in case the person wants to apply for a job, attempts to get government assistance etc..

H

hexeliebe

Just additional information. As a reporter for the Kansas City Star, a publisher of my own newspaper and (my first job) a staff writer for the Army Time Publishing Co. (not a part of the military), I have had occassion to file FOIA requests for many such proceedings and I have received them all.

Yes, parts were blacked out but the text was there as well as the charges, deliberation results, and of course final disposition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">