• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor In Consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janetsnakehole

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Last Monday, I had been out drinking with coworkers. I got a ride home from a D.D. and stupidly forgot my wallet. Next thing I know, he runs a stop sign and we get pulled over. Cops ask if we have all been drinking. We all say yes. They ask us if we are 21...we all say yes. Then, they all go to us individually because we all didn't have ID's on us, and ask us our names, addresses, height/weight information. I was scared to lie (like another kid in my car who wasn't 21) and said my real birth date. So then the officer confirmed I wasn't 21. The driver gets a ticket for expired insurance and tags and next thing I know they take me to jail for not having my I.D. on me. The kid who had lied about being 21 got away. They breathalyzed me (I don't know what my BAC was) and I spent the night there. My court date is coming up Wednesday. I have a few questions about how I should go about this...

*What are the different options if I plead guilty or not guilty? My friend had gotten an MIC last year and her aunt (a lawyer in New York) said to plead not guilty. I'm scared of doing this because I admitted to the officer I had been drinking and he also breathalyzed me.
*This is my first offense, I forgot to mention earlier. So would the worst thing that would happen would be a diversion class and a fine and light probation, right?
*I have saw things online where the court can suspend your license even if you weren't driving. Would this be true?
*I don't understand the deal with a public defender and lawyers and such. Do I even need one or should I just go in on my own?
*I am a college student with 2 jobs and I also volunteer. Should I mention this when I talk to the judge...to show that I am responsible?
*If they ask if I have ever drank before or how much I drink, should I say it was my first time?

I am really nervous about this court date. I've never been in trouble before and by getting a DD, I got screwed over. Granted, I should not have been drinking in the first place...but I feel like sending a 20 year old college kid to jail was extreme. Any advice I could get would be very very helpful!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
*I am a college student with 2 jobs and I also volunteer. Should I mention this when I talk to the judge...to show that I am responsible?

Not responsible enough to refrain from underage drinking. Seriously, the judge's response to this is just as likely to be, "Then you're smart enough to know better".

janetsnakehole

Not responsible enough to refrain from underage drinking. Seriously, the judge's response to this is just as likely to be, "Then you're smart enough to know better".
Fair enough. Any advice then on what I should do?

sandyclaus

Fair enough. Any advice then on what I should do?
Get an attorney. Have them negotiate with the prosecutor.

Arizona does not look kindly on underage drinking and there are serious repercussions if you are convicted. In addition to fines, possible jail, and probation, you will also face a two-year mandatory license suspension. You may receive a restricted driving permit during this period, usually allowing you to drive to and from work and school. However, your insurance company may not see this restrictive license in a favorable light, resulting in inflated premiums and limited coverage.

You must realize that a conviction for an alcohol offense can potentially stay on your record permanently. Negative consequences could include travel restrictions and ineligibility for government jobs, scholarships, educational opportunities, collegiate sports eligibility status, and many other unforeseeable limitations in your future. Arizona classifies underage drinking as a Class 2 Misdemeanor punishable by a maximum $750 fine and four months in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">