• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Consumption + Arrested Public Intoxication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwany

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Ever since the arrest last Saturday, I've been bothered by it and couldn't fall asleep for two nights in a row, therefore I kindly ask you guys to help me out here.

First of all, I am a College Sophomore currently studying at Purdue University in Indiana. This isn't my first arrest. I was actually arrested for the first time last year around mid August for the same reasons; public intoxication and minor in consumption. I've already taken my alcohol classes and I believe i was only convicted of Public Intoxication, they said after I've finished my classes my charges will be dropped...

So last Saturday I was in the wrong place at the wrong time again. I just got out of a party and took my drunk roommate back to my apartment then left with another friend for some food. I had around 2 beer and a few shots and wasn't even buzzed. I was about to cross towards the campus "bars street" but the walking sign was flashing red, my friend decided not to cross but I was dumb enough to take the chance and ran across. The light turned red when I was in the middle of the street and i quickly ran through, saluting to the perpendicular car that was waiting for me to cross, at the same time not realizing there was a police car right behind the car.

When I got to the other side the police car pulled over and the next thing I know four policemen were surrounding me asking me questions about my night in a very intimidating tone. They asked me if i had anything to drink for the night and my first instinct was to tell them all the truth and was afraid that they would arrest me again so I told them I had a few drinks and will return back to my apartment right away (which is across from the street). They took my ID then started asking me all these irrelevant questions such as "where I'm from" (I'm from Taiwan) and "what would my parents think if they know about this etc". So finally they wrote me a minor in consumption ticket and told me to go back to my apartment. I got the ticket and walk back across the street to meet up with my friend who saw me talking to the cops and just waited there for me.

Then this is where I made my mistake. My friend asked me if i wanted to walk back again to get some food on the side of the bar street, I said sure so we waited a while for the police car to drive away. After the car drove away we crossed the street again (this time not jaywalking), and I guess we weren't paying attention then two of the four cops who interrogated me jumped out of nowhere and yelled "I thought we told you to go back to your apartment", then right away they told me to stand against the wall and handcuffed me and arrested me for public intoxication. I was sent to the county jail where they breathalized me and spent 12 hours in jail and released without a charge.

Right now I'm totally paranoid about these convictions being permanent on my record (I'm an US citizen but lived in Taiwan most of my life before coming back for college) and whether or not they would file it to the school (because the Dean put my on disciplinary probation last August for a year..which is now over). Since this is my second time caught for the same two reasons (MIC and PI), should I get an attorney to try to get me out of this or not. I just think this is the most ridiculous and absurd reason to arrest a college student on a street filled with bars. :(

I thank you guys for taking your time to read this long story, I just hope someone out there could help me figure this out.

Sincerely,
Alex

FlyingRon

You weren't in the "wrong place at the wrong time". Your mistake was continuing to drink, and drink to the point of intoxication, when you are underage. Obviously, the classes did absolutely nothing for you.

You weren't in the "wrong place at the wrong time" when the cop initially decided to give you a break by telling you to go home and sleep it off.

You've given up a lot of "second chances" here. Unless you can some how weasel out of this (and you'll need a lawyer for that), a conviction will ensue that will be with you for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">