• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunkitty

What is the name of your state? Missouri

A friend of my son's was at a party on a college campus he was caught leaving the house with a beer in his hand and was charged with a MIP citation. His mother showed me the citation. It has no date or time to appear in court and it also does not have the offending child's signature on it. I am curious is this a valid citation. This event happened over a month ago and they have heard nothing from the court??? What should she be doing at this time? And if he does go to court is there anyway of this not being published in the newspaper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

racer72

Has the person that recieved the citation contacted the court for direction? That would be the easiest way to determine what needs to be done. He should also talk to a local attorney to see if the discrepancies you describe would be enough to have the citation dismissed.

S

sunkitty

Thank you racer 72

Thanks for your quick answer. No she has not contacted the court she feels that if she doesn't bring it up to them and it is not a valid ticket than maybe nothing will happen. She didn't want to talk with any local lawyers as this is a very delicate situation and she doesn't want this to get out due to the fact that her son plays basketball and it would probably get him kicked off the team for the season. So she figures the fewer people who know the better. I told her to talk with his coach and see what he has to say but she doesn't want to take that chance and of course she is keeping much closer tabs on her son and making sure she knows where and who he is with at all times. I just thought maybe someone on here could maybe give her some advice regarding the questions I brought up in my first post. Thanks again.:confused:

HomeGuru

Re: Thank you racer 72

sunkitty said:
Thanks for your quick answer. No she has not contacted the court she feels that if she doesn't bring it up to them and it is not a valid ticket than maybe nothing will happen. She didn't want to talk with any local lawyers as this is a very delicate situation and she doesn't want this to get out due to the fact that her son plays basketball and it would probably get him kicked off the team for the season. So she figures the fewer people who know the better. I told her to talk with his coach and see what he has to say but she doesn't want to take that chance and of course she is keeping much closer tabs on her son and making sure she knows where and who he is with at all times. I just thought maybe someone on here could maybe give her some advice regarding the questions I brought up in my first post. Thanks again.:confused:
**A: I hope he gets kicked off the team for being such a freakin idiot. It's not a delicate situation. It's a stupid one.

S

sunkitty

To racer72

Again Thank you. I talked with my friend and talked her into calling the courthouse. It seems that he hasn't been formally charged with anything just yet and if he agrees to take an 8 hour class that he most likely will not be since this is a first offense.
Since it seems he is not likely to be charged with anything there is no reason to worry about it being published anywhere. So again the direct approach is the best approach.;)

S

sunkitty

To Home Guru

Now to answer your response. What can I say, Yes it was an idiotic thing to do but this is not a problem child we are talking about here. He gets good grades, attends Church and is very active at school. Unfortunately, I believe in this one instance he found himself in a situation that was over his head. He was visiting a friend that graduated last year, since he may be going to this same school next year. Obviously YOU have NEVER made a mistake in your entire life, well bully for you. As with most PERFECT people I found your response both narrowminded and vicious. Fortunately, the courts recognize that people do make mistakes and as long as it doesn't happen again they can make amends and that 1 stupid mistake does not have to be detremental to a child's future. Let me leave you with this old adage:

"PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULD NOT THROW STONES"

:)

HomeGuru

Lets get real here. That kid was underage and was holding a beer. That is against the law period. Good grades, going to church and being very active at school is not relevant.

B

BillyBG

"good grades, attends Church and is very active at school"

You sure he doesn't lead a double life when you aren't around?

HomeGuru

That's ok Billy. The writer thingks she is on a Dear Abby or Dr. Phil website rather than a legal advice website.

S

sunkitty

Constructive Help

Yes, I realize that what he did was illegal. But what child in this day and age are not tempted. I know that I was and did drink when I was underage. I no longer drink and don't condone drinking in underage children but I know of parents that do and allow them to drink in their homes. As for the Dear Abby crack, If you 2 bozos would take the time to read my first post I was asking for some specific help. The only person who bothered to respond with some constructive help was racer72 and Thanks to him I got the answer that I needed. As for the child in question. He is not mine but I do know him very well and have watched him grow up with my son. I do happen to think of him like a son and I don't want to see his future ruined. So If that makes me a bad person, so be it. If you all have something constructive to say than by all means say it but if not than back off.

HomeGuru

Re: Constructive Help

sunkitty said:
Yes, I realize that what he did was illegal.

**A: very good. You understand what this website is all about. The rest of your post below is not relevant to the legal issues.

But what child in this day and age are not tempted. I know that I was and did drink when I was underage. I no longer drink and don't condone drinking in underage children but I know of parents that do and allow them to drink in their homes. As for the Dear Abby crack, If you 2 bozos would take the time to read my first post I was asking for some specific help. The only person who bothered to respond with some constructive help was racer72 and Thanks to him I got the answer that I needed. As for the child in question. He is not mine but I do know him very well and have watched him grow up with my son. I do happen to think of him like a son and I don't want to see his future ruined. So If that makes me a bad person, so be it. If you all have something constructive to say than by all means say it but if not than back off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">