• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession / Open Container in Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sj1988

What is the name of your state? California

I recently got minor in possession(M) and an open container(I) charges in a vehicle, 23223 and 23224 respectively, both as a passenger. I blew a 0.05 on the breathalyzer. This is my first time in trouble, no prior record or even tickets. I've read up on both and see that for the MIP charge its a max fine of $1000 and/or 6 months in county jail and that for the infraction it is up to a $250 fine. Is this accurate? I have not been considering a lawyer since the details are quite clear and evident. What can I be expecting, penalty wise? TIA

Last edited:

The Occultist

There are plenty of threads on this board for first time MIP's in CA; some minimal searching on your part should yield the answers you're looking for. I will tell you that it is highly unlikely that you will be facing the max penalties.

sj1988

Sorry, I did search, but couldn't find anything very conclusive about verdicts or case-specific penalties concerning vehicular MIPs in general, let alone in CA. Thanks for the response

CdwJava

You can expect fines, and possibly, probation and counseling. The specifics might vary by county and depending on your age (under 18 or 18+). Jail or juvie time is not at all likely.

- Carl

sj1988

Just curious, what are the chances of my license being suspended for this offense? I know it says under the penal code that a conviction is subject to 1 year license suspension, but anyone have insight to the relative possibility of such a result, also if not 1 year, how long? Also if I can expect a suspension will this have a significant effect on my insurance considering i was a passenger? I know some of these questions are subjective, but any educated guesses are appreciated. Thanks

FlyingRon

Nearly 100%.

How long you have a hard suspension before the court allows a restricted depends on the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">