• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catfish03

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My 16 year old son was in a parked car with some other boys and they were arrested for MIP (sort of). I say "sort of " because the boy who owned the car was cited for DUI, and they took my son and the other boys to the police station, called me to get him and said they were going to cite him for MIP and something else. He was given a breathalyzer. He did not refuse one, they never mentioned it to him. He did not make a statement.

The cop said he needed to "look up what to charge him with" and that he would "mail him a ticket". He thought it was going to be a felony of some kind. So as of now, my son and the other passenger have not been charged with anything. It has been five months and I have never seen any ticket in the mail.

HOW LONG can they wait to issue a ticket? This is really bothering my son because he will lose his football eligibility if he is convicted of MIP.

H

hexeliebe

First off, your post is all over the road.

He was given a breathalyzer. He did not refuse one, they never mentioned it to him.
How can they not mention a breathalyzer to him when he took it?

The cop said he needed to "look up what to charge him with" and that he would "mail him a ticket".
Seems to me the cop turned the incident in to the prosecuting attorney's office and they have decided that there is nothing to charge your son with.

However, get a copy of the police report and contact the DA's office to see what the disposition of the incident is yourself.

C

catfish03

I must have mistyped. He WAS NOT given a breathalyzer and was not asked to take one. I think they have decided to drop it, but he still worries, because they have never said anything.

Yes, the cop said he had to "Look Up" what to charge him with. I don't know why. And he did say he would mail a ticket.

I'm inclined just to assume they dropped it unless I get something in the mail. Kyle just doesn't want to suddenly lose his sports eligibility six months after the fact. He's on a pretty short leash since this little incident, and I haven't allowed him to hang out with the older boy, so I don't think he has done anything like that again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">