• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sgtslaughter

What is the name of your state? california

i was recently given an mip the other night. A cop waiting outside my friends apartment building stopped me after seeing me put my beer down outside. i was very friendly and respectful to him while he questioned me. he did not give me a breathalyzer or ask me any questions except my age and gave me a mip. i know i must deal with the consequences of my actions but i would like to know what kind of punishment i will receive or if there is any advice you have for me when i got to court. thank you.

H

hexeliebe

i was recently given an mip the other night. A cop waiting outside my friends apartment building stopped me after seeing me put my beer down outside.
Which is why you were charged with Minor in Possession.

i was very friendly and respectful to him while he questioned me.
Which is a very good thing. And it shows that although you are a minor, you have adult responsibility.

he did not give me a breathalyzer or ask me any questions except my age and gave me a mip.
He gave you a break. He didn't need to give you a breathalzer test for the MIP charge. All he needed to do was ascertain that you were a minor.

i know i must deal with the consequences of my actions but i would like to know what kind of punishment i will receive or if there is any advice you have for me when i got to court.
If this is your first offense, you will probably be fined and put on probation. But the judge may have lost a relative, child or parent to a drunk driver who was under the legal age so it could mean the death penalty.

There's no way of knowing what a judge will do.

The advice I would give you is be as respectful in court as you were with the police office and on this forum. Be honest, accept responsibility and take what they give you.

Thank you.
You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">