• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP + Littering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whyme12

What is the name of your state? Michigan

A group a friends decided to goto a college party. As we get there, one of them passes out a can of beer for each person. The house is roughly 100 feet from where we parked, and in between our car and the house is an intersection. On our way to the house, there was a cop parked near the intersection, i'm assuming he has been watching us for a while now. A few of the guys I was with began to chuck their cans to the side, one of which was opened. I decided to put mine in my back pocket. So as we are about to cross the street, both cops get out of their vehicle and immediately approaches me with the question "Is that your can on the ground?". Since it wasn't mine, I said "No it isn't", and him being so sure of himself that it was mine was accusing me of lying and pissing him off. So they cuffed me and we headed to the police car, where I was cited for MIP and Littering. It read "One can open and set on the ground" as well as "One can unopen in left back pocket". This is my first offense for a MIP. However, three years ago I was caught shoplifting as a juvenile, I was offered a plea bargain where I took my classes, payed my fines, and finished my probation period, allowing me to have a clean record to the public.

Now my question is, what are my chances in keeping a clean record after this ordeal? What are the common/possible repercussions that I will face if I am to plead no contest?
Would it be a smart thing to plead no contest to the MIP but not guilty for littering?
Would it be wise to hire an attorney?

Ironically, this is only the second time in my life that I have drank alcohol and I assure you that this will be my last time until i'm of legal age.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">