• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP possibly dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silvsrt4

What is the name of your state?
Kentucky

Saturday I was with my friends(18,18, and Im 19) they were both holding beer and some cops came up to us and asked us all for ID's. I had nothing in my hands at all. The police man said to me "dont lie I will breathalyze you how many have you had". Naturally I wasn't going to lie and said one. Which was accurate. He then proceded to write me an MIP. Yes the beer was also in my trunk.
So...
(1) I admitted to having 1.
(2) I held the keys to the car that had the alcohol, thus I had possession.

An older friend tried to argue and the cop continued to say you don't know the KRS so don't aruge. I did some research on the KRS and came up with this:

The officer wrote under Statute on the citation: 422.085(3).
This Statute has nothing even remotely close to do with drinking.

But, Statute 244.085(3) does say that an individual under 21 can not possess alcohol of any kind.

Should I take no contest and pay around $200.

or

Go to court by myself and ask for Deferred Adjudication with the fact he wrote the wrong statute.

or

Hire and attorney and see if I can get it completely dismissed due to the fact he cited me for the wrong thing?

:confused: :confused:

HomeGuru

silvsrt4 said:
What is the name of your state?
Kentucky

Saturday I was with my friends(18,18, and Im 19) they were both holding beer and some cops came up to us and asked us all for ID's. I had nothing in my hands at all. The police man said to me "dont lie I will breathalyze you how many have you had". Naturally I wasn't going to lie and said one. Which was accurate. He then proceded to write me an MIP. Yes the beer was also in my trunk.
So...
(1) I admitted to having 1.
(2) I held the keys to the car that had the alcohol, thus I had possession.

An older friend tried to argue and the cop continued to say you don't know the KRS so don't aruge. I did some research on the KRS and came up with this:

The officer wrote under Statute on the citation: 422.085(3).
This Statute has nothing even remotely close to do with drinking.

But, Statute 244.085(3) does say that an individual under 21 can not possess alcohol of any kind.

Should I take no contest and pay around $200.

or

Go to court by myself and ask for Deferred Adjudication with the fact he wrote the wrong statute.

or

Hire and attorney and see if I can get it completely dismissed due to the fact he cited me for the wrong thing?

:confused: :confused:

**A: have another beer then ask the question again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">