• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Miranda rights for the Boston bomber

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state I guess
Can someone explain why they didnt read the Boston bomber his miranda rights? They say they were invoking a rare public safety exception. What "safety" are they talking about? I would think he could say he wont talk unless they do read him his rights. Can he refuse to talk by not having right read?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Can someone explain why they didnt read the Boston bomber his miranda rights? They say they were invoking a rare public safety exception. What "safety" are they talking about? I would think he could say he wont talk unless they do read him his rights. Can he refuse to talk by not having right read?
http://lmgtfy.com/

justalayman

there is a public safety exception. It is limited in its application. The PD's office is already working on assigning a lawyer to the case and has expressed concern about the application of the public safety exception and its apparent intent to possibly abuse it.

Additionally, from what I have read the kid is not able to be interrogated at the moment due to his injuries and treatment. Attempting to Mirandize and incoherent person is meaningless. If you recall, the question of: do you understand your rights, obviously cannot be answered in the positive if one is actually not capable of understanding what you are being told.

the safety involved is, among other things, if there is the belief there could be bombs set about to where the public would be in danger, Miranda can be suspended.

quincy

There is a lot of news readily available on this right now, that a simple Google search will reveal.

That said, there is a legal exception to the Miranda rule that allows for questioning without reading Miranda rights when there is a continued threat to public safety. The government will be watched by the ACLU, among others, to make sure the rights of the suspected bomber are protected.

All of this could be a moot (or mute) point, however, as the bomber's throat is badly damaged and he may not be able to speak anyway.

(yes to all that justalayman said. . . .he types faster than I do :))

OHRoadwarrior

Personally, based on the evidence I have seen, this entire thing was coordinated to misdirect discussion of the immigration issue in the gov't and to for the gov't to establish a right to enact martial law as well as illegal searches. Notice the video of the former SEALS carrying backpacks was officially ignored, yet we are supposed to believe the 2 stooges recruited for the operation, managed to plant all the explosive devises from 2 backpacks. One of the stooges dying and the other being unable to talk is just icing on the cake.

justalayman

Personally, based on the evidence I have seen, this entire thing was coordinated to misdirect discussion of the immigration issue in the gov't and to for the gov't to establish a right to enact martial law as well as illegal searches. Notice the video of the former SEALS carrying backpacks was officially ignored, yet we are supposed to believe the 2 stooges recruited for the operation, managed to plant all the explosive devises from 2 backpacks. One of the stooges dying and the other being unable to talk is just icing on the cake.
all what explosive devices. Although there was rumor or 3 or more, I have only read of two confirmed devices and those are the two that went boom.

of course, the fact the kids shot a cop without cause and hijacked a guy and stole $800 from his bank don't show their intentional involvement, right?

OHRoadwarrior

all what explosive devices. Although there was rumor or 3 or more, I have only read of two confirmed devices and those are the two that went boom.

of course, the fact the kids shot a cop without cause and hijacked a guy and stole $800 from his bank don't show their intentional involvement, right?
Depends on what was reported when and what 'facts' you choose to believe.

justalayman

Depends on what was reported when and what 'facts' you choose to believe.
do you have something, besides the NY post, that reported more than the two bombs?

and are you claiming the carjacking was either fabricated or not what was reported?

seriously, if the gov was doing this to distract attention away from something else, I do not believe it would have been resolved so quickly.

CdwJava

And din't we see black helicopters, too? :rolleyes:

Are you for real?!

Yeah, I am sure the Pres and friends enjoy a good distraction from the issues of the day, but to coordinate a bombing and frame two random Chechnyans for the act ... this seems a little far-fetched, don't ya think? And did they have a buy in and cooperation from all the Boston PD and MSP folks? And the resident that found the suspect in the boat? And the dead cop? Were they all CIA spooks? Really? A secret becomes untenable with just two people - you're talking about one that would require dozens of conspirators, maybe hundreds - none of which work for the feds.

Next thing you know you'll be telling us the Twin Towers weren't really brought down by Islamic terrorists flying planes into them, either ...

TigerD

Next thing you know you'll be telling us the Twin Towers weren't really brought down by Islamic terrorists flying planes into them, either ...
Yeah, pretty sure that has been conclusively proven to have been aliens flying stolen military-available equipment.

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">